How long does Unused Main line last for??

AMW93

Reaction score
I have some unused Fox soft steel main line, its still on the original spool and in its box, its been stored in a dry cupboard for approx 3, maybe 4 years. Is this line ok to use or should i just bin it??

Beecy

Reaction score
take a short length, say 4 or five yards, tie one end to a tent peg hammered into the ground and the other to a hind leg of your neighbors cat, if the cats still tied up in the morning you know the line is ok

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
It was kept in the dark in its box so I reckon it should be okay but as Nigel says test it, just fill a bucket with the appropriate weight and hang it off the line. Remember most lines break at a far higher breaking strain than their displayed BS.

W

Wolfman Woody

I couldn't agree more with some of the comments here.

Line tends to degrade when exposed to UV light and the polymers etc. deteriorate and start to oxidise. You get a white sort of powder from some. Providing your line is shiny and the same colour as it was when made, it should be fine.

But like Nigel say, test it. I would have every faith.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

This thread reminds me of the time i was in Ringwood Tackle when it was run by the big chap whose name escapes me.

A friend of mine asked if he had any 6lb line.He reseponded no, but that he had plaenty of 8lb line which you could leave out in the sun for a day!

AMW93

Reaction score
thanks for all the advice. Just tested the line, i was testing 15lb line and it snapped at the knot with an 8kg weight on it, broke my scales in the process too.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Three years?!

I've got stored lines that date to 1975! That's a spool of 0.06 ultra fine line that is as good as when I got it. It is when they are either exposed to light or used that they deteriorate fast, sea fishing being worse than freshwater.

I still have one last spool of the original Daiwa Harrier line that dates back to about 1987, and wouldn't worry about using it.

At least though I've just gone and replaced a load of line on my spools - been pole fishing for six months so it was about time.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Daiwa Harrier line eh! Mark, finest stick float line ever produced in my humble opinion, never did understand why they stopped producing it. Knowing what I know now I can't help wondering if it was marketed under another name.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
AMW93. At least you have learned a valuable lesson albeit an expensive one. You only use the scales to weigh the material (housebricks, stones whatever) put it in a previously weighed bucket or container and suspend it from the line, keep adding weighed material until the line breaks. The same conclusion you reached but your scales aren't broken.

AMW93

Reaction score
Graham, thats wot i did, i dropped them after weighing bits and pieces though

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
" i dropped them after weighing bits and pieces though"

Good to know it isn't only me that drops everything, I wouldn't be much good in the slips these days, even if I saw the ball I would almost certainly drop it, the pleasures of ageing don't you know.

Wayne Bradford

Reaction score
tie one end to your bank card and c how long it takes the wife to snap it LOL

i normally feel down the with my finger and thumb nail if there is any lumps or bumps onit then a throw it out

kingfisher

Reaction score
Subject unused line, providing the line as been kept out of direct sun light it will be alright, its the sun that does the damage

W

Wolfman Woody

Money Saving Tip:

Change your lines regularly if they have been used.

For lines that haven't been used too much, try windign them onto another spool keeping the most unused part on top.

Any new reels you buy, pack them with old lines that been well-used at both ends. Keep the windings very tight as they go on the spool.

To preserve your lines and get longer casts, try spraying them with Armour-all. Yes, the spray for your car's dashboard. (Works with most lines.)

Wayne Bradford

Reaction score
washing up liquid does the same job as your spooling your reel run the line through a bowl of washing up liquid and water and bobs your uncle perfect cast everytime and the line sinks better :)