If fishing were banned...

Blunderer

Reaction score
If the unthinkable actually happened and the government made fishing illegal, what would you do?

Froma personal persepective, there is no way I would stop. Even if I were running the risk of a court appearance and/or fine.

It could be quite fun...sneaking around like a commando, buying black market bait/tackle, working as an underground network.

The police would never have the resources to stop it...it would be like the war on drugs...

pcpaulh

Reaction score
I'd still fish, To be honest I don't think many people would report you anyway. And you'd make sure you weren't seen! Like Blunderer said it would be good fun, but I wouldn't like to think it would ever get to that stage.

Deanos

Reaction score
I would become a nudist and take up tennis, especially if I got to play against some real big plumper nudist girls. (since you asked!).

David Naylor 3

Reaction score
funny - i was only thinking about this last night. If I wasn't out fishing I'd be protesting.
I think there's enough fishermen in the UK to kick up a pretty big stink.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

I'd put in for some serious overtime.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Get a set of cross hairs of a 0.50 Barrett on the brain of which ever prime minister brought in the ban!

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
And me, I'd just carry on fishing as though there wasn't a ban. And if we all did the same they couldn't do a thing about it.

T

trev matthews

id do the same as i wrote in reply to the last time this subject came up. id fish to my hearts content, then start a prison league and have day trips out to france as part of a rehab package

Reaction score
Like Blunderer and Graham,

I can't and won't stop fishing. I would just carry on as usual and take the consequences.

And if we all did, we'd win.

Not only because we are right but because mass civil disobedience tends to unsettle reactionary governments that adopt trendy ill-conceived causes as policy.

Either that or we'd end up with the same farcical situation as they have in Germany, where the Greens won a famous victory and as a result of their deep-seated respect for animal life, it is now illegal for anglers to return a fish alive.

FM fish-ins would certainly take on a whole different character! Perhaps we should get Army and navy stores sponsoring the site. Night vision goggles anyone?

C

Coops

I would paint up some signs up with 'Told You So' written on them for when the rivers are barren and the fish are all dead.

Specihunter

Reaction score
get all the fish from the lakes that are filled in and dump on doorstep of no 10 peta and the league against cruel sports

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

According to Defra, approximately 140,000 rod licences are sold in the N.W. Region each year. There is the princely number of 6 E.A. bailiffs to patrol the whole of the North West.

That gives me a 6 in 140.000 chance of getting caught. Or each bailiff will have to check 23,300 licences in order of a chance of nabbing me.
I think I'd risk it.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

There are only 2 political parties in Britain that in the forseeable future might ban angling by joining forces in a vote and that is Labour and The Lib Dems.

Based on the large majority of town councils held by The Conservatives and the fact that this will grow by tommorrow, I do not see the banning of angling on any party's manifesto. They would be shooting themselves in the foot.

mick boswell

Reaction score
I'd go back to shooting 10 deer a year, probably a thousand rabbits a year, countless pigeons, crows, foxes, ducks, geese and lots of vermin. Fishing allows me to excersise the most basic human instinct without killing which I tired of. I swapped rod for guns but if some rsole threatens my way of life then I will go back to the trigger and really hack off the do-gooders. Stuff my concience.