Wilderness Fishing on ITV tonight 7.30pm

laguna

Reaction score
The adventurers guide to Britain: Wild Lake District 3/6

A visit to the Lake District sees Gethin Jones trying his hand at wilderness fishing for brown trout...

“The Eden has never been stocked with farm-reared fish – so the brown trout are totally wild and very wary.” explains Gethin.

Wilderness fishing is tough – no short cuts, no technology and no cheating, just fishing the old fashioned way. It requires a great deal of stamina and it’s certainly not a sport for the fainthearted.

“My legs are going numb and the concentration is killing me but a brown trout weighing 8lbs was once caught on the Eden and I don’t want to miss a thing.”

ITV tonight 7.30pm

laguna

Reaction score
Short and sweet, 4 hours for a little brownie but still nice wetting a line.
Wouldn't mind fishing those tarns either... where's the ski lift? :D

beerweasel

Reaction score
I fished the Teifi upstream of Cenarth falls but not that far upstream (do you need Oxygen and sherpas ?).

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
One of the rivers I know well, from Poppit and Gwbert at the bottom all the way up to the heady headwaters.

Oxygen and Sherpas?

No, I think not, though some Welsh might help you out in the headwaters - there, they do their best to understand and to be nice to the clueless Sais, but you can have just too many know-it-all-yet-nothing incomers...

dezza

Reaction score
The highest I have ever fished is a 200 acre lake at just on 7400 feet above sea level in the Eastern Cape Provice. This lake had perch to 5 lbs!

Bloody cold at night!

beerweasel

Reaction score
Did any of you catch "The One Show" tonight ?(wednesday)
Jeremy Wade was promoting eating Carp (farmed), he also slagged off the Eastern Europeans poaching.
It was only a 5 minute piece, check it out on I Player. :w

Last edited:

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
One of the rivers I know well, from Poppit and Gwbert at the bottom all the way up to the heady headwaters.

Oxygen and Sherpas?

No, I think not, though some Welsh might help you out in the headwaters - there, they do their best to understand and to be nice to the clueless Sais, but you can have just too many know-it-all-yet-nothing incomers...

By way of a PS...

I forgot to mention the other night that I no longer fish the river concerned, a river I have known since childhood, lived beside for several years and fished pretty successfully from source to sea with fly, minnow, spinner and bait after being given an Internet working-over lasting a few years by some Boomtime Rat New Kids on the Angling Block who were looking to set up far from cheap, guiding and holiday cottage operations on the river and who saw my "not joining them" (as opposed to attacking them, which I hadn't done until they started on me) as something of a threat. It really did get nasty in 2005 - 2007, with me only needing to post virtually anything under my own name on the old Fly Fishing Forums and two, new, sea-trout fishing forums to get a concerted, all-out attack from the usual Spottie suspects; the remains of some of the threads - those which weren't deleted at the time by the site owners after I had out-debated my "attackers" and made them look fools - are still to be found if you Google them. I wasn't speaking just about the gentrification of the Teifi either, but about many another then still-accessible river, after having seen what happened to some rivers both here and abroad when the Smart Money made its move on them. The attacks only ended in late 2008 when the financial crisis made such territory-carving boomtime rats look no longer like people you'd care to want as a guide or a friend.

laguna

Reaction score
Boomtime Rat New Kids on the Angling Block
I would send Bob Geldof aka Sir Robert Frederick Zenon back to Ireland and as for those New Kids on the block... they are an alien species!

Seriously though, why not still fish your old beats or is it syndicated?

---------- Post added at 18:28 ---------- Previous post was at 18:22 ----------

Did any of you catch "The One Show" tonight ?
Jeremy Wade was promoting eating Carp (farmed), he also slagged off the Eastern Europeans poaching.
It was only a 5 minute piece, check it out on I Player. :w

Thanks, I missed it but will catch up cheers :w

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
paddled in the Eden once...B'@@@@Y freezing! never saw a soul all day, a magical river in a magical place.

mark

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Not at all mate. Peace and tranquillity is the No1 reason why I go fishing too.

I assumed it was the "Internet working-over lasting a few years" that put you off, or maybe that was the deciding factor...

Peace and quiet and fishing for fish, not against men, that's all I have ever done - I can get naked aggression and Neanderthal chestbeating on a squash court.

Internet shenanigans, the deciding factor?

Nope. They merely confirmed to me that there were far more no-talent green-eyed fishy monsters with kayaks for shoulders than I ever imagined and that they might be better off on the previously mentioned squash court or in Parliament.