Us poor northerners

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
What is it with <u>some</u> northern anglers that they are forever crying out about the inequality of it all, the south have all the best fishing is an oft repeated accusation, they have bigger fish than us poor northerners is another, our voice isn't heard in the angling press another.

The thing that sticks out like a sore thumb though is that the good northern anglers, and there are loads of them, never seem to resort to this senseless excuse. I don't think I have ever heard Graham M say he is jealous of the southern fishing, Barney seems to have a whale of a time catching quality fish but never a murmer about how unlucky he is to live in the north, Bob Roberts is another and there are many more examples too.

Good anglers catch fish wherever they fish and wherever they live, they don't need to resort to slagging others off and moaning because they imagine that some are luckier than they because of where they live. The northern rivers are beautiful looking rivers in beautiful surroundings and they contain some quality fish, what else could an angler ask for, why be jealous of southern rivers when you have all that?

These disgruntled northerners should remember that there are very few anglers that catch the biggest fish even if they happen to live in the south and they would be far better employed getting maximum enjoyment from the rivers and lakes that they fish and who the hell needs the fishing press when they have all the publicity they want, if they want it, on Fishingmagic.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

I don't think anybody has said they are unlucky being a Northern angler.
Tony Miles excellent books on river fishing are based more in the South. His advice can still be used on the Northern rivers to an extent, bur the rivers up here are a completely different kettle of fish if you'll pardon the pun.

For a start there is a difference in climate between the North and South. Northern waters and anglers should be published a lot more. There is a difference. Matt Hayes for one came up North a couple of years ago after the pike. Although he was put in the area, he still struggled. Kids fish the same area on a regular basis and pull them out ding dong.

So Graham, all I am saying is let us see and read a little more of Northern anglers. But before you start, this is not a spat between North and South. And least of all myself.

Macca_EFC

Reaction score
I thought the only thing which was more abundant in the south was there appears to be more fisheries? No amount of "moaning" or complainging will really make any difference anyway, and there appears to be more rivers to fish southwards, the recent thread about the Ribble has totally put me off going there as I'd rather not have a tranquil fishing session spoilt by idiots. South better than North? I think it's just a case of more choice, probably not more quality.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

More fisheries in the South? You must be joking.

Here in Rotherham there are far more fisheries than even exist in London suburbs. We have without doubt the best canal fishing in the country and more river fishing than any single angler will ever be able to tackle in a lifetime. We are only 40 miles from the best barbel fishing in the country and about 30 miles from where I live is superb gravel pit angling.

The only difference between this area and say Hampshire or some of the home counties is that the fish do not grow as big.

But does that matter?

The size of fish one targets is relative.

When you get to my age you will realise that the size of fish really means nothing. It is all a matter of how the fish were caught and how skillful you are.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

You only have to watch the match lads in a National when they come up here to practice, to see how different things are.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
I would love to have the Trent on my doorstep. Forget the barbel and carp, is anyone targetting the roach?

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Graham you cannot deny the north has had a poor deal in the angling press over the years regarding our waters,and it is not about putting southern writers or anglers down at all.For me it is about actually getting a few articles that are with in easy reach for some of us poor souls to get too, I have a car but others are not so lucky so all they can do is dream about the southern venues as thats all they are going to get to read about isn't it.I think you have missed the point Graham.Fair play to Matt for his article on a northern canal thats what we want as it shows there are good fish to be had up here so lets read about it.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Steve,

There are a few anglers who are genuinely targeting the roach on the River Trent. Not only that, they are doing well too.

OK, not the monsters of the Southern gravel pits, but fish in excess of 1 lbs, and the odd one approaching 2 lbs too.

But to be honest, I will say no more. After all. We do not want the monied Southerners invading our swims do we?

Janet (AT)

Reaction score
I live, and fish in the north of England - Lancashire, God's own country, and I have no desire to chase the larger fish in the south of England.I love where I am, I love where I fish, and I'm happy with whatever I catch. However, as a newcomer to the sport, I was surprised that with all the lovely places we have to fish that there isn't an angling publication aimed more at this region.

I have absolutely nothing against the southern writers or anglers - I've learned loads from them since I started, and I'm sure I'll continue to learn, but I don't drive and I can only daydream about fishing some of those waters down south.

Instead, I've learned to concentrate on the venues nearest to me, and to learn as much about them as I can. As I fish alone, I have to rely on the Internet and angling press for much of my information, and it is abundantly clear that the North of England doesn't attract much in the way of articles in the angling press.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

And by the way, I heard today of a great catch of bream taken from a canal in Rotherham recently.

12 fish from 6 lbs to 9 1/2 lbs!

I know the spot, but I'm not going to mention it here. This must be probably the greatest catch of canal bream ever taken.

Macca_EFC

Reaction score
janet, which venues in Lancashire do you fish? I'm fortunate enough to drive and it's only a few junctions up the M6 for me, would be somewhere new to give a go.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
"Graham you cannot deny the north has had a poor deal in the angling press over the years regarding our waters" says Gav.

Load of tosh mate, you explain to me why this has affected yours or anybody elses fishing in the north. Do the northern rivers and lakes have less fish in them because the Angling Times (or other press) doesn't highlight them occasionally? If you did but realise it you are probably better off by not having publicity for your rivers at least you will have them to yourselves and it wouldn't affect individual anglers one iota even if they did mention them.

Wonderful scenic rivers in wondeful scenic surroundings, be thankful for what you have got, enjoy it and forget about pointless publicity, you don't need it.

Janet (AT)

Reaction score
Hi Macca. I mainly fish the Leeds Liverpool canal in between Altham and Clayton le Moors, the River Calder (teeming with pristine brown trout) and my small private club pond. Most days I never see another angler.

I'm off for two weeks on a narrowboat round the South Pennines this weekend, so I'm hoping to try fishing in a different spot each evening, and several different canals. The whole area is so lovely, I can't think of anywhere better to fish.

Next week I'm off for a fly fishing lesson on the River Ribble near Clitheroe, one of the prettiest spots I've ever been fortunate enough to fish in.

The guys down south don't know what they're missing (and long may it stay that way!)

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Graham it dosen't affect my fishing ,but read Janets post I am not on my own .And to be honest about it I think it would improve my fishing if more articles were in the region as it can spur you on if you see others doing it on your doorstep.A nice eel article would do for starters .

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Gav.
Funny you should mention eels mate. Give me a call, would a 7 lber interest you?

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Good job I aint monied Ron! If I was (it's a long drive from Bristol, over 4 hours) you would see me on the banks of the Trent every weekend! With the amount of food going in at Collingham for the barbel I bet the roach are packing the weight on. Not just Collingham though, the Trent is gonna throw up some whackers! I've been told by someone in the know that the barbel record will be broken on the Trent and I believe it.

I honestly do envy all you Trent anglers, I wish I lived closer.

Don't be fooled by the press, Southern waters are hard and repeat captures mean nothing! When the old buggers die have we got lumps to replace them, I don't think we have?

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Well come up and live in Rothers Steve.

I can be your interpreter.

Seriously, I don't think I would be happy living in the South. There are still a few places around here where you can escape to a bit of wilderness. My new sydicate lake is like that; under fished and in a most attractive part of the northern fens, and only 27 miles from home.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong Ron I live to the east of Bristol, Bath is only 9 miles away and the scenery is stunning! Cakes will vouch for that.

My Avon is similar to the Trent, apart from the size and the potential the Trent has.

Believe me Ron, I was looking in the estate agents windows the last time I visited you!

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Baz sayin as you have put me on two pb's already this season I would be a fool not to be interested,I will be all ears .

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

Gav.....you will give our Baz a bad name!

Thread careful.....he's drawing you into his net, he will probably nick you for summatt! ;)