What is the smallest fish you have ever caught?

• Thread starter Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)
  • Start date
R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

For me it was a microscopic black bass caught on a size 14 Montana nymph!

I am not kidding but this fish was only about 13mm long and at first was difficut to identify. But by the aid of a magnifying glass I was able to confirm that it was indeed a Large Mouth Black Bass.

The smallest British fish I have ever caught, again on a fly too, happened the other day at Press Manor fishery. The fish was again very tiny and it took me ages to work out what it was.

But at home I confirmed that it was a stone loach.

What are your PBs for the smallest?

Beecy

Reaction score
i'm often amazed at the tiny fish you get on big baits, ive had bream not much bigger than razor blades on a pellet that you would not think they could get in the mouths

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

You look much better without that dirty pipe.

T

The Monk

A Black Sea pipe fish, I glued a size 28 hook to the end of some line, just to see what they looked like

N

NomadPaul

not the smallest i've caught but whilst legering at Brundall on the river Yare just outside Norwich , i wound my rig back in and thought i'd snagged a small leaf on the hook which , on closer examination , turned out to be a tiny flatfish , approx 2 inches across Not sure what species it was. This is approx 14miles inland .

Murray Rogers

Reaction score
Come on then!!!
Whats a Black Sea Pipe Fish?

I have cast out before with a single maggot on and hit a bite only to come back with two on the hook, but i am now led to believe that it is not uncommon.

C

Coops

Smallest I had was a perch that wasn't actually hooked, it was just so small it couldn't spit the single maggot out.

The best small fish was a tiny pike of about 3 ins long that I found in the margins. It attacked a worm dangled in front of it. Beautiful little fish.

pcpaulh

Reaction score
I caught a fry (not sure which species) off about 3cm on 4 hair rigged 6mm pellets.

Also had a tiny perch once on a baitless size 12 hook.

Mike McHugh

Reaction score
The smallest fish I have ever caught was a 1 inch minnow that I had caught with my hands.

I did not bring really any lures along, except for the ones the fish were not biting and, I had run out of worms. I did not want to just leave, so I caught a minnow in hte shallows by luring it up with a piece of bread from my sandwich, and grabbed the little guy between my hands.

Long story short, I did eventually catch a good sized bass on him.

Trisantona

Reaction score
Sticklebacks by design (for livebait)and accidentally,yesterday i was plumbing depth,couldn't find plummet so slipped on arlesey bomb and hooked a maggot on to stop it falling off,reeled in and there was the smallest perch i have ever seen.(bit later caught his grandad close to 3 lb.).

T

The Monk

Its one of these Murry, they are only a few inch long, like a seahorse oputstretched, not sure whaich one it was though?

MARINE PIPEFISH / SEAHORSES
Grey Pipefish Corythoichthys paxtoni
Sea Horse Hippocampus species
Leaf Fish Solenostomus species
Green Pipe Fish Syngnathus species
Yellow Pipe Fish Syngnathus species

Clare Byrne

Reaction score
gudgeon on a size 6 hook and 15mm boilie is my smallest. (Caught 2 in 20 mins)

Morespiders

Reaction score
I caught one that small you couldn't see it, so i dont know what it was. Sent the pics to Angling Times, got a Drennan Cup prize for the smallest fish ever caught that you could not see.

PS Its growing now, they think its a roach, or a perch.