The best pike fishing film of all time?

Jack Sales

Reaction score
Mmmm well i have seen the film, and yes it is great, but not is all it seems. I spoke to the midnight sun guides after seeing this film to ask why they were so aggressive towards the film makers.
Well it turns out the film makers, were wholely unprepared for the journey and tried to "borrow" some fuel as they had run out. With Alaska being so remote this is a fatal mistake. When they expected the midnight sun guys to supply them with some of their fuel they were politely told no. Fuel has to be flown in, and as a result is an expensive, precious resource, they could not financialy spare to part with.
They then waited until they were guiding and tried to sweet talk their young office girl into getting them some fuel.
This angered the guides, as it would, and they then told them to leave them alone.
They also began following the midnight sun guides, who pionered this water, and watched where they were catching, and fished the same swims.
The final nail in the coffin for their relationship was when a member of the film crew fired off an emergency flare whilst drunk, which caused a search and rescue mission.
This off course was not shown on the film, and does not excuse threatening violence, but put yourself in their position and how would you react?

greeny1321

Reaction score
That could well be the case but then again maybe not, the midnight sun guides aren't gonna say "yeah we threatened them cos they were fishing OUR water" are they? There are two sides to every story!

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Sounds a right bunfight, though not on the scale of the Guiding and Operator / Lodge Turf Wars that I witnessed in Argentine Patagonia and Tierra del Fuego through the 1990s. Insults and rocks hurled, warning shots fired on one occasion - in front of $4500 to $7500 per week clients there to flyfish for sea-trout in some cases! As you can imagine, I went and found a new river or two, then, when these "went hot", went after steelhead on a river owned by a lovely 90-odd-year-old Chilean gentleman whose thirties-age-group grandchildren I had bumped into and got on well with, then, well, no more, not after 2001 or 2002 when everywhere was a staked-out, priced-up zoo - er - destination.

So far from the old Brotherhood of The Angle...

Last edited: