pole rating ?

Reaction score
my mate was selling a new pole a few years back that he had won in a competition , i think i only used it a couple of times befor i put it away ,the pole is in new condition and as the shropshire union canal is now right on my door step i thought id give it a go again ,but can anyone advice me as to what the elastic rating of this pole is. and what elastic do you recomend ( good head of bream /roach / chub and odd carp).

W

Wolfman Woody

I think the max would be about 14s elastic if it's the same as one a mate of mine had.

Depends how many tops you have for it, but with your target fish I would go for a 4, 6, and 10 providing the carp aren't too big. If they go over 8lbs then why not a 4, 8 and 12. Assuming you have three tops of course and if you don't, then lose the 4s and just go for 6 and 12.

Reaction score
ive got 3 top 2s they are about2m long, the bungs are tiny because the pole is very narrow ( bungs about 12-14 mm ) is this ok

W

Wolfman Woody

It would be better if you had a top three for the number 4s.

Is it marked "Competition Carp" or mention carp anywhere?

Take a look at the fixing of the bung and doubling of the elastic here in this article. This will strengthen the elastic and give you an extra buffer.

(btw, the paper clip is there just to keep the elastic out whilst I took the photo and is not part of the setup)

My elastics are mostly only through two sections.

Reaction score
no mention of carp on the pole . ill try doubling up the elastic using my top 2s , i will only be using on the local cut so no need for big elastics , i will do an 8 and 2 6s that should be ok . great reply , thanks for your time mate