Fishing locations?

P

peter webber

With 2150 angling members why is there only 7 locations listed for the whole country?
Does every one fish private or secret waters?
Scared that people will flock to there favuorite waters/swim so they can't fish there? WHY?
If we all listed one water there would be plenty to choose from.
Help the web site be the best there is and do your bit for the people that work hard to keep you up todate with news e.t.c.
After this is sent i will be putting 4 in and by the end of the week i hope to put a lot more in.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words Peter. But I have to say that one of the reasons for the lack of fisheries is that it is only recently we made it possible for FISHINGmagic members to submit their own.

Also, the submission form is too simple. Those submissions we have already received lack, in some instances, vital information, such as where the fishery is!

Very soon though the submission form will be replaced with a much more comprehensive one.

But don't let that stop anyone from submitting locations (fisheries) in the meantime. We can always add missing details later.

P

peter webber

Graham
Being a new member i was not aware that it had just started. Thanks to you and Sally Hotchkin (by email) I do now.
My intention at the time was NOT to get anyones back up, but to hopfully get them to submit info whitch I now know is being done. Im sorry if anyone was afended by this and thanks for putting me straight on this.

pete

G

Goose Ganderton

Dont worry Peter we all put our foot in it some times though they may not be as big as yours, im sure by now the colour of your cheeks has gone back to normal. But you are right there is some apathy among some anglers , those that like to keep information about waters and fish caught to themselfs. I tried to get a specimen group going in Kent but not one person was interested, you try finding out where there are large Roach in this county and no-one will tell you bugger all. Sometimes i wonder some anglers have to be so secretive. NOW DONT START ME GOING Peter.

Alan Roe

Reaction score
ROACH did somebody mention Roach?? Goose you can find big roach in the Severn downstream of Bewdley and I am about to start investigating a small river in Lancashire I will let you have the details if I do any good.
The reason why no one will tell you about Roach is that so few of us fish for them any more!!!

P

peter webber

Goose Ganderton.
Yes i have got big feet and some times tread where their not wanted, my cheeks have returned to normal colour thanks.
As for big roach have you tryed mote park maidstone in kent.
You can fish it on a day ticket (?5.00 for 2 rods) and the roach go over 2lbs and there is some big bream to be had too.

C

Carp Angler

Goose,
any lake where the carp anglers are in the majority normally contains big, unfished for roach, they'll have a penchant for pigeon conditioner and hemp and you'll be able to catch them on small bits of tiger nut.
If you're in Kent then try Darenth, oh being Darenth you'll probably need French maize.

P

Philip Inzani

CA...I was very interested to hear about the Roach in Darenth....its very close to where I stay in London. Which lakes where they in and what sort of head of them is there ?

Goose...I had some resonable Roach from Larkfield 2 a few years back which I think is in your neck of the woods. Lakes 1&3 also held them. I think Mid Kent controls it now.

P

paul williams

CA is right, there are many carp waters that contain BIG roach, i have been taking a look at a few over the last couple of seasons and will shortly be starting this years roaching. To any one who has the pioneering spirit this is a great path to take and plenty of fish to catch. One water i targeted was cuttle mill, (after talking nicely to the owner)and the place was stuffed with roach of all sizes!! when approaching owners show them respect and they will usually talk to you. I'm all ears if anyone has more waters to suggest! we could always have a get together.

P

Philip Inzani

I am definitely interested in this. I totally agree that Carp waters can hold some huge Roach (Rudd, Bream, Eels etc) which for the most part are totally neglected. I actually fished specifically for the Roach on Larkfield2 but I have to say one of the things that put me off was the attitude of the Carp anglers there at the time. I was fishing alone and in the end gave up due to the amount of s*** I kept receiving from them about "spoiling" their fishing. I may well have continued if I was fishing with someone else.
I would be very interested in a get together/campaign of this nature. Although I would be restricted in the number of times I can actually be there to fish I would be more than happy to share info and have the occasional fish in.

on the venue front?probably not new news but the Essex Arena seemed to be throwing up loads of them a while back.

P

paul williams

Philip, i had the same problem with some carpers especially when i caught a 20 on maggots!! but interestingly only from a few, one day on cuttle i bumped into one of the well known guys and i had a real good chat with him, he thought it great that someone was doing something different. Arena was indeed turning up some big roach but i believe it is syndicate. What is needed is a carp water that turns up big roach accidently and has not yet been targetted for them.

P

Philip Inzani

If you are after a real monster then I would put money on the chain of pits along the M4 near near Reading are holding some. Trouble is some of those lakes are 200 acres+ Not sure about you but although I dont mind a challenge, I do want to catch something eventually! Anyone know some smaller waters worth a go ?

What about trout reservoirs ? Winters on its way maybe one or two would open their doors to some Roach anglers ? I would love to fish Bewl it holds them for sure, I found some dead ones when trout fishing a few years ago?big Perch too. I know it opens it doors to Pikers now and then?anyone got contacts within Southern water ? Anyone know other trout waters that would open their doors ? If a few of us got together they might listen?.just some ideas!

C

Carp Angler

Burghfield on the M4 corridoor.
94 acre gravel pit owned by RMC.
Also included is a stretch of the Kennet next to the lake.
Lake roach=?
River roach=3lb2oz
Limited to 4 rods on the lake, 2 on the river.
?30 a year.
OAP's ?15 (that's you Paul).

Also carp to 41, tench to 8, pike 32,chub 6.14, barbel 13.08, perch 3.09.

P

paul williams

Whats the parking situation like down there Rik? is it one of those pits where your car gets trashed? and do they do veryoap tickets?!!!!!! Philip i too like the idea of trout waters, any one know of one?

C

Carp Angler

I posted a thread on the RMC site asking this very question, and Mr Welch has assured me that if you use the designated car parks, it is very safe.

P

Philip Inzani

I know Burghfield quite well, I spent quite a bit of time there, so I may be able to help here. Car parking was OK, I never had my car busted but I did see others. The RMC car parks are certainly a better bet than some of the canal towpath parking even if the shorter walk is tempting.
With regard to the fishing IMO the venue records listed by RMC are a bit misleading. I would forget the river for Roach but the lake may be worth a go if you can find them. The Tench fishing is underestimated and, Rik, with your current Barbel run you might want to chuck a rod in the river you might add a Kennet double to your list!
The main down side (for me) was that Bivvys started to appear on the river and they restricted access to one bank as well a few seasons back, which really added to the pressure although I think they have banned bivvys now.

Hope that helps.

C

Carp Angler

Phil, I've given up on barbel fishing, it's too easy.
I'm going back to some proper challenging carp fishing.

(That should provoke some response from the lurkers)

P

paul williams

What you really mean is you fancy a rest! the call of a nice level grassed bank and that new bivvy instead of grabbing your rod as you slide down the bank's of the lower Severn on a wet night is proving to hard to ignore......can i come PLEASE! especially if it's a carp water with BIG roach.

M

Mike Fidler

Oh god! Barbel fishing to easy, the mind boggles! But guys why pick really huge places like that? I fished Drayton resevoir last year for roach. This place has upto 120 matchmen all casting method feeders every sat/sun for the carp which run to 20lb. The roach are in perfect condition and there are plenty of them going a 1lb plus.

G

Goose Ganderton

Guys, it sounds like we could get a little Roach group going here, how about it