River Ribble i need some infor

john woody

Reaction score
what rods and size of feeders. i have just got the diawa m2 11-13ft feeder rod.

The bad one

Reaction score
You don't say whether the rod is the medium or the power. Feeder rods are OK on the river when the waters at normal level. But carrying water, 1m plus, and they not that good, as the tip will come round on you.
Might struggle to cast the 4-7 oz feeders needed with that water on as well.
Better with a barbel twin tip rod (Quiver/Avon tops) of at least 1 3/4 lb.
At normal level use the Quiver tip section, when there's water on, the Avon top.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hi mate,
been up to the river this morning and it is still running through hard, you would not stand a chance in there with a normal feeder rod!
depending on what your budget is you could pick up one of the fox warrior barbel rods for about £80! or one of the cracking wychwood range of barbel rods for around £50! but you could spend alot more depending on what you want and how serious you are about you are about river fishing?

mark

john woody

Reaction score
You don't say whether the rod is the medium or the power. Feeder rods are OK on the river when the waters at normal level. But carrying water, 1m plus, and they not that good, as the tip will come round on you.
Might struggle to cast the 4-7 oz feeders needed with that water on as well.
Better with a barbel twin tip rod (Quiver/Avon tops) of at least 1 3/4 lb.
At normal level use the Quiver tip section, when there's water on, the Avon top.[/quote

[/COLOR]medium feeder diawa m2 it will cast upto 5oz feeders been told at the shop

Last edited:

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Tip rods are ok on still water as they were meant for but they are useless on fast rivers even if they can cast a 5oz lead, the tips will just get pulled round. you need solid tops as found on ''avon'' and barbel type rods that are strong enough to stand the heavy flow, something in the range of 1.3/4 and 2lb test curve would be suitable for rivers such as the ribble.

mark

stuartpengs

Reaction score
Tip rods are ok on still water as they were meant for but they are useless on fast rivers even if they can cast a 5oz lead, the tips will just get pulled round. you need solid tops as found on ''avon'' and barbel type rods that are strong enough to stand the heavy flow, something in the range of 1.3/4 and 2lb test curve would be suitable for rivers such as the ribble.

mark

Good Lord! what am I doing wrong?? after a mere 25 years of fishing for the barbel on the Ribble which might make me something of a "Johnny come lately" or "instant"barbel angler I have never needed anything more potent than a 1.5lb test curb rod and most of the time I use 1.25 lb test curve rods when ledgering.
Float fishing for them is far more fun for me you don't need to wear cammo or have matching equipment to do it either :wh:D

ravey

Reaction score
You can get 'avon' tops for the 11/13 Daiwas, I think - called method feeder tips. Two strengths were/are available. If things get really desperate, you could cut them down...

Personally, I wouldn't subject my own 11/13s to the abuse of fishing flooded rivers (the Trent in my case). I wouldn't cast more than 3oz with them either. I don't like fishing on a rising river; I find the rubbish coming down to be a pain, and simply don't enjoy it. If I did, though, I would use nothing fancier that a heavy carp/pike/or even a sea rod - and a cheap one would do at that; after all, if you're lobbing/chucking the sort of weight around that people think you need in a flood, then you might as well use something built for the job.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Good Lord! what am I doing wrong?? after a mere 25 years of fishing for the barbel on the Ribble which might make me something of a "Johnny come lately" or "instant"barbel angler I have never needed anything more potent than a 1.5lb test curb rod and most of the time I use 1.25 lb test curve rods when ledgering.
Float fishing for them is far more fun for me you don't need to wear cammo or have matching equipment to do it either :wh:D

Alan,
I DON'T wear camo and I DON'T use matching pairs of rods/reels!!!
The info I gave was for tackle suitable for winter floodwater fishing (about right for this time of year me thinks) and in MHO gave sound advice about using match type tips on fast/flooded water, and yes, I also use 1.25 tc rods for winter chub/summer rivers!!

stuartpengs

Reaction score
Alan,
I DON'T wear camo and I DON'T use matching pairs of rods/reels!!!
The info I gave was for tackle suitable for winter floodwater fishing (about right for this time of year me thinks) and in MHO gave sound advice about using match type tips on fast/flooded water, and yes, I also use 1.25 tc rods for winter chub/summer rivers!!

Strike!!!!:D:D:D:D