Today I caught

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
OK they were only Parr, but hopefully in a couple of years they will come back to the Ribble as 10 pounders, and give some lucky angler a memorable catch.

They were only small, but catching them gave me a great buzz, it's great to see that the river is in a healthy state!!

The Bone Collector

Reaction score
Well done Ric and good news for the north. Going to bow to your superior knowledge now. Caught loads of parr in Scotland and England, whats the main difference between Brownies and Salmon?

Know that I have caught both in the past, 28 on the Devron in one day so sods law decrees I must have had at least of each especially as the brownie stocks are not much to write home about.

Gillie could not help much (too much of the amber nectar) but there must be a difference all be it subtle.

Morespiders

Reaction score
BC, Brown trout have Brownie written on them,Salmon have, youv'e guessed it. No further comment. Well done Ric, grid ref please.

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
Grid ref morespiders?

BC a Trout's mouth extends beyonds it's eyes wheras a Salmon's stops short. The Salmon were more silvery and had less spots and were slimmer in profile than similar sized Trout.

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
Yep, got one on a black spider, the other on a goldhead nymph, both tied by yours truly!

T

The Monk

Nice the old Ribble Grilse, we used to catch Herling too, fisty little fish

J

john conway

I use to catch quite a few salmon par on the river Lune when dace fishing with maggot, not yet caught one on the fly. It's even a bigger buzz when you catch them on your own tied fly's, well done Ric.
The Ribble won't half be belting down tomorrow, Sat, it's peed down all day in the Dales.
The big boys might be playing out tomorrow Ric?

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
It's strange John, all this rain we've had this week, and today's showers, I expected the rivers to be up.

Stopped off to have a look at the Goyt this evening on the way back from the Press Manor fish-in. The river was still painfully low, the only sign that it had rained at all was just a hint of colour.

Mind you, it didn't rain that much today in Derbyshire, so maybe that explains it.

Hope those spring Salmon are running tomorrow John! When I get back from my travels I'm going to get a Salmon fly kit.

My family and friends think I'm a bit obsessive now; it can only get worse..