confused by bequest

K

krazey dayze

i was left some rods by my grandfather and amongst them i found one that has me confused as to what it would be used for(pike/carp/spinning etc)...i really dont have a clue.
it has a label on it which says "auger panther"....ive tried searching on the web for info but no luck....can ne1 help?

J

John Pleasance

I've searched the web too and I can't find anything.I think it must be a big cat fishing rod. LOL Sorry Krazey.

B

Barry Kneller

Auger were a company that went out of business in the mid/late 60's I think.
They supplied all sorts of tackle & some rods but I can't remember any names, They did do a glass carp rod - as I remember it had gunmetal finish brass ferrules & was a dark brown color. Test curve about 1.5lb. Low bridge guides with Aqualite butt & tip - sliding winch fittings. I think maybe green whipping.
I think that they also did a 12' version that was just right for pike livebaiting. Same colour & fittings.
Hope this helps

Barry

C

Chris Bishop

If it's glass I'm afraid it probably isn't worth peanuts.

K

Krazey Dayze

ok so when did i mention value?.....i just want to know what type of fishing its meant for....so i can use it and honour my grandfathers memory....surely chris,thats more important.

J

John Pleasance

If you are still out there Krazey there is an "Auger UK" tackle shop listed on this site.Search under " :members:-:shops:-:within 10k of St Albans: " for a phone no..

R

Richard Drayson

I've just looked through an old tackle book of mine and found several Auger rods.
Unfortunately, no mention is made of an Auger Panther, although there is an Auger Tiger.
Presumably, they might be similar rods???
A brief description of the Tiger follows:-

"Lightness combined with great strength are features of this dependable rod.
Made in hollow fibreglass and available in lengths of 8 and 9ft., the Tiger is well able to cope with hard fighting pike and can also be used for salmon fishing and light sea fishing. An excellent little rod."