Hemp Preparation 2

E

Evan

Basic hemp preparation for loose feed, got that sussed, thanks to those who replied to the original post.

Now seeking to add hemp to groundbait, having read here that roast hemp that is then ground up makes a good addition.

What I'm not clear on is whether you do the soaking / boiling till it splits bit first, then roast and grind up after that, or whether you just use dry hemp as it comes and go straight to roasting.

And either way how much roasting and what sort of temperature ? two minutes at 220 or five hours at 130.....

Cheers and thanks in advance for any help received as ever.

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
I`d of thought that if you ground up hemp seed after soaking and boiling,it would go all mushy and porridge like.Infact i`m sure there is a company out there in fishing land that sells a hemp porridge,especially good for cupping in when pole fishing.
I would think that the ground hemp that us fisherman buy is roasted/dried in an oven before the boiling stage on a very low heat setting???
As with a lot of bait preperations etc... a little experimentation would be called for mate.Hemp from pet shops/merchants etc... is pretty cheap,just spread some over a baking tray and pop it into the oven.
Let us know how you get on.

E

Evan

Not sure, if roasted after soaking and boiling then the roasting would dry it out ? Thereby rendering it capable of being ground...

Would prefer to avoid the experimentation process with something as smelly as hemp, 'er indoors wasn't impressed with the smell last time. Mind you, since then I have used the pressure cooker with some success - pops the kernels nicely plus keeps the smell in ! Though leaving them in there for a month thereafter probably wasn't clever....

So does anyone know for sure / been there, done it and bought the T shaped cliche ?

L

Les Clark

Evan ,don`t bother soaking the hemp if you are going t roast it ,just put it in a meat tray ,into the oven mediam gas,give it a stir now and then and the main thing is to turn it dark brown but don`t let it burn.

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
As with Les above, but be careful with fan-ovens, they cook considerably faster.

A big plus of roasting hemp is the aroma, a cross between 'nutty' and coffee.

Robbie H

Reaction score
Has anyone tried sprouted hemp? The Mrs is into sprouted seeds to eat in salads. She leaves them to soak and after a few days they sprout.
I can see the attraction for fishing.

Rob

E

Evan

Damn good idea that Robbie...

And as the officers drag you out of the house, carting boxes of sprouting hemp behind you, try telling them it is just for fishing.

Good luck.... :)

L

Les Clark

Merv ,with you there mate ,the smell is great ,even better when you put it through a coffee blender .

B

Brendan Ince

ok are we talking about dry roasting because roasting ( like a sunday joint of beef ) to me is done useing fat/oil in which case could i roast the hemp in say a chilli oil or like my xmass turkey could i do it in a roasting bag they say it keeps more flavour in the meat will this be the same ?

nicky

Reaction score
i remember matt hayes saying on one of his shows that the hemp seed you buy at tackle shops and seed merchants etc has been treated so that the seeds cant sprout

E

Evan

That was / is always my understanding Nicky. Plus which they are seeds of species varietals which, even if grown, produce very little THC.

However that still leaves the Trill loophole*..... unless they have closed it in recent years** ?

* It used to be that the hemp seed in birdseed could not, apparently, be treated with chemicals, as a potentially injurious additive for the birds.

So a little cunning picking over of a box of Trill gleaned a few sproutable examples back in the 1970's.... which I gave to a friend at school (Jan Pomerans, where are you now ?) who had bet me (with double dare dressing in addition) that you couldn't get hold of viable cannabis seeds.

The visit of an entire flying squad and drug squad enforcement and search team at my parents house a week later did not cheer my parents up much !

Don't think it cheered the Fuzz up much either when they discovered that the "Suffolk drug baron" in question was 12 years old and the secret of my supply (freely available in a pet shop near you).

True story too !

** These days I think they irradiate the seeds in Trill, or some other similar process, so they're dead as dead can be.

W

Wolfman Woody

Hmmmmmm!

Well, I bought a big sack of MEGA hemp for fishing last year. Feeling sorry for the old birds though I mixed some up with pigeon seed (a Red Band type mix). They loved it, but typical of our local woodies, they throw it around all over the place.

Needless to say that I ripped out of the ground 3 enormous Cannabis plants of nearly 3 feet high and composted them. I don't think the drugs sqaud would wait for any test results.

S

sash

Just liquidize the cooked hemp in a blender and mix with groundbait or use in a spod mix. Gives a lovely white, creamy cloud with loads of suspended particles.

Reaction score
Dry roasting Brendan ,you will find that after blending the hemp will be oily in its own right .

Woody , When i boil my hemp i cook it outside in a baby birco ,this one time i must have spilt some seed on the patio ,a couple of weeks later a large sprouting of " weed " appeared ,looked like the real thing ,but as i understand you have more chance of getting high on dandelions :):):)

B

Bob "chubber"Lancaster (ACA)

i just grind my cooked hemp in a liquidizer and then mash it in with the groundbait always works fine sometimes i just add the hemp as it is works fine both ways.tight lines

HEMP HEAD

Reaction score
FORGET BOILING/ROASTING HEMP. JUST LOB IT IN THE BIGGEST THERMOUS FLASK YOU CAN BUY.(REMEMBER TO LEAVE ABOUT 2 INCHES FROM TOP FOR EXPANSION)PUT BOILING WATER ON IT AND LEAVE OVER NIGHT.YOU WILL HAVE ENOUGH FRESHLY PREPARED HEMP FOR A DAYS FISHING.NO SMELLS/MESS TO UPSET THE MISSUS AS WELL. YOU CAN ALSO DO TARES THIS WAY.I ALSO DO CRUSHED HEMP THIS WAY AND IT COMES OUT PERFECT TO MIX IN YOUR BLENDED BREAD TO USE IN THE FEEDER FOR BIG ROACH.AS PREVIOUSLY SAID GET YOUR UN COOKED HEMP FROM A PET FOOD SUUPLIER.AT MY LOCAL SHOP (PINIONS) IN MAIDSTONE THEY DO 3 DIFFERENT SIZES OF HEMP PLUS BROWN AND WHITE CHRUMB ALL HALF THE PRICE OF TACKLE SHOPS.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Hemp Head stop shouting mate, take your cap locks off.

I'm doing some now Evan. Blend it raw/dry. Don't cook it, it wiil go to mush if you blend it after cooking. I blend 4 pints then pop it into a deep roasting dish, put it in the oven on gas mark 1 and stir it over every fifteen minutes until it is dry, usually about two hours! Let it cool down and bag it. As Hemp Head said buy it at a pet store, a large sack is about ?15 and will last ages. Also if you're boiling hemp save the water and freeze it, the oil content is massive and it works brilliantly when added to groundbait and your ground hemp.

Chuck it in and watch it fizz!!!