sending rods sold on ebay

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I know this has been on here before but the search won't throw up the threads no matter what I put in.

I have a Greys 1.25/1.75lb t.c. rod that I want to sell on Ebay but.....the post office definitely will not accept anything longer than 1.5 metres, I've checked today, again. The rods are 12ft two piece so when tubed will be 6ft long so who does do it, and how much, anyone sent a rod recently?

Interlink Express will do it but they want ?18.50, TNT want ?46 and that wouldn't look nice on ebay postal charges now would it.

Macca_EFC

Reaction score
have you tried selling them to your local tackle shop? If people want them they just have to pay the charges, there's no way round it other than selling to a local person who could pick them up

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Wouldn't get the value from a tackle shop mate they are virtually brand new, only used once cost ?100 they would probably offer ?30 or something silly like that. My rule and a lot of others buying on ebay is beware the postal charges, the Post Office used to do it for about ?6 but no longer.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

What sort of rods are they Graham?

Suitable for a bit of biggish river barbelling in the higher test curve would you say?

You see P+P on rods in the region of ?10 to ?12 so somebody must do it cheaper than you have found.

S

Shrek

You could try this site:

Interparcel

Guys on another forum I use recommend them.

Deliver anywhere on mainland UK for ?9.99 + VAT collected from your door.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Nigel. Yes the 1.75lb top will handle bigger barbel in bigger rivers or near snags and I personally have had barbel just a couple of ounces short of 10lb using the 1.25lb top on the lower Severn the one time I did use it at Kempsey and handled them easily. They are Avon tops not quiver so float or feeder.

Trouble is I have a Harrison rod as well and that is always my first choice on the river now so the Greys rod is surplus to requirement.

Thanks Adrian I will try them.

S

Scott Whatmore

Dad, have you tried finding a rod seller on ebay with postage around the price you will want to pay and asking them who they use? Via the 'ask seller a question'.

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
Graham,the mrs and i have sold rods via e-bay.
You could try sending them via parcelforce which if memory serves me correct is ?13 for a 48hr service???
The problem with some rods in tubes is that they are too long for the vans that come along and collect from the local post offices.You could enquire at your local sorting office,wether you are able to pay for the postage etc... at your local post office and then drop the tube off at the sorting office.We have done this in the past,with no hassle what so ever.
Alternatively,send a message to yoggy who posts on fishing magic.He is based at a royal mail sorting office in peterboro and can put you right.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Nick, I rang parcelforce and they said no chance because it is too long, rang Post Office as well and they said definitely not.

Scott, this 'interparcel' that Adrian suggested looks as good as any but will bear in mind if things don't work out.

Mithrandir

Reaction score
I have had rods delivered from an online tackle shop and they used APC, if that is any help.

Y

yoggy

Graham, Royal Mail WILL and SHOULD except your rod as long as you take it to your MAIN sorting office and NOT POST OFFICE COUNTERS PLC.
I handle and deliver rods in tubes longer than 1.5m on a daily basis.

Depending on what service you require and the weight of your tube and rod it should cost between 8-12 quid.

Hope this helps.

B

Brendan Ince

graham do you know antbody thet has a account with TNT it would be alot cheeper if they would send it vie there account or i think its dhl thet do a 3 day service

F

Frothey

i use interparcel....been spot on.

get an old carpet tube from the local carpet place to send it in.

W

Wolfman Woody

The post office really ought to wake up and smell the coffee.

I've sent a pole longer than 1.4 metres through the post before now. The length limit certainly applies to Air Mail. Most post offices should take the parcels, that is what they pledged to do years ago.

The argument then was that the US mail will actually deliver a shed flat-packed and the Royal mail said they would do the same. Must have been 20 years ago that came out.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Okay, I've just come back from a visit to the local sorting office for a word with the manager and to the question "can I send a 6ft rod through here?"

"Sorry mate havn't got a clue". When I pointed out the PO will only accept 1.5mtr max he said "ah! yes thats because we only have small vans". "If I brought it down here would you accept it?" he replied "Probably but I wouldn't guarantee that we would send it!"

Can you believe it, what sort of schoolboy outfit are the Post Office running these days, it beggars belief, no wonder they aren't making a profit.

Y

yoggy

Tossers!!!. I bloody wish I worked at that office I would soon sort them out.I wonder how long he`s worked for the company??. This is typical. As for profit in the company Royal Mail made millions last year but I wonder sometimes how they do it!!.

A note of interest if anyone doesn`t know. The Post Office and Royal Mail are TWO different companies,which is,in my view where the problem started. No communication!!.

Anyway Graham. Literally only a few weeks ago I sold a John Wilson rod complete with tube I sent it via ROYAL MAIL through my main sorting office it arrived next day and cost me ?7.40. As I said before they SHOULD ACCEPT it.

W

Wolfman Woody

Absolutely unbelieeeeeeeveable!!!

(V. Meldrew)

I don't think one part of the Royal Mail knows what the other part wants. I've even rung their general enquiries line before now and it took them half a day to get back to me. That was because I wanted to send a rod (1.6 metres) to Italy and was told that the Royal Mail would handle it, but that cargo at Heathrow would reject it.