Starting Carping Part 9 ? The Method

C

Clive Evans 1

As good as usual Dave, in what has become a must read set. But what makes this one stand out is the bait!
That's what I call lateral thinking at it's finest, flying in the face of perceived wisdom, something most of us find very dificult.
I'll definitely be giving it a go. Seems ideal for the monsters I've seen my local canal network.

smiffy

Reaction score
I enjoyed your article Dave.
Alot of carp venues do not allow the method due to the damage it does to a fishes mouth, especially the metal feeders.
When I use the method I use cat or dog meat
and mix other morsals into it.
My hook length is 5 or 8lb line approx 3inches long and main line 10 or 12lb line I use size 14 on elastic band or size 8 for meats and sweet corn mix.

My method feeder is a small flat plastic
feeder and as you say I hang onto my rod
as when it goes it gooooose.
Ps Do you use barb or non barbed hooks.
regards
smiffy

smiffy

Reaction score
I enjoyed your article Dave.
Alot of carp venues do not allow the method due to the damage it does to a fishes mouth, especially the metal feeders.
When I use the method I use cat or dog meat
and mix other morsals into it.
My hook length is 5 or 8lb line approx 3inches long and main line 10 or 12lb line I use size 14 on elastic band or size 8 for meats and sweet corn mix.

My method feeder is a small flat plastic
feeder and as you say I hang onto my rod
as when it goes it gooooose.
Ps Do you use barb or non barbed hooks.
regards
smiffy

F

Frothey

thanks smiffy, i used barbed as a rule, barbless if the venue says so.

you must mean match venues, rather than "carp" venues - still a load of old clap-trap! the feeder is never going to damage a fishes mouth, its the match guys winching the fish in with powerful rods that damage the mouths...

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Totally agree with Clive. A brilliant series of articles and so easy to learn from.

F

Frothey

thanks baz, just got to think of some more now!

its the match guys winching the fish in with powerful rods that damage the mouths...

i didnt mean just the match guys, its also those fishing those kind of venues with "proper" carp gear

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Any chance of doing something on a stick mix?
What possible ingredients and rigs, and how to use it in a pva stocking?

I was recently told that all the ingredients must be finely ground. I don't know why though. Possibly something that will explode on the lake bed.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

And something on splicing leadcore.
I don't know if I'll ever use it but I would like to be able to do it.

Basicly, I get to the stage where I poke the splicing needle through, grip the core (I think) but then I lose it when I try to pull it back through the loop.

F

Frothey

i've done the leadcore thing Baz, use a longer tag end und you shouldnt loose it.

havent done a stick one, 'cos i thought we'd all seen at least one korda dvd lol!

smiffy

Reaction score
Thanks Dave,
I will enquire about match angler at the next venue I attend.
regards
Smiffy

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Just spliced my first piece of leadcore. 2 hours and then I realized I was sending the needle through the wrong way.

Three more attempts and three perfect loops. Amazing how it locks into its self isn't it?

R

Roto Fryer

keep the articles comming Dave. Good stuff for the beginner.

C

Cakey

dunno what Rotos on but I want some.................................