Too Expensive??

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Chatting away in my local tackle shop this evening, talking about the end of the river season and plans for the new.

I mentioned "our" day on the Lower Itchen back in March and my mental note to try it again late next season.

"Far too bluddy expensive, not worth the money" came the response from one guy.

"The fishing was good and the company and conversation were free" was my reply.

"Can't afford it" said he.

This from a guy I regularly see sat behind two rods at Gold Valley (?15) and often night fishes it (?25 - 24 hours).

I've got no problems with that, I fish GV a lot, but he just couldn't be convinced of the value of something different!

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Possibly wasted on him, Neil by the sound of things but I think a lot of us, me included, can easily get stuck in a comfort zone when it comes to trying something new.

Richard Baker 6

Reaction score
Neil,

The lower Itchen fishery is a funny one for price. Its 125 in summer and in all honesty, the fly fishing is better end of season when the prices drop to grayling rates!! don't know why so many fishermen pay the over priced summer fee (though I imagine its a lovely river to be by in summer).

Regarding the bit of the kennet you had the grayling day on. I think its well worth the money. I reckon its not just the fishing you pay for there its the seclusion!!

Fished there last year at Mayfly time. Not something I'd do every week as its pricey at around 60-70. It was bloody good though!! 15 rainbows (stocked) and a few wild brownies all on huge mayfly imitations. Great sport.

if you want some more cheap chalk stream fishing for wild browns and grayling I've just found a bit of the test. It runs though a park at Romsey and if you contact the council I beleive day tickets are ?15. I've only walked it the once in flood but looks like with normal water levels there would be some good fishing.

Let me know about any grayling days next winter.

Cheers

Rich

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Richard, we have booked the LIF for the 23rd February 2008 for another FM Grayling Day and I will be posting nearer the time for numbers.

If anyone is up for another day on the Kennet later this year, I will gladly organise things again.

Richard Baker 6

Reaction score
Hi Nigel, I'd have been keen on that but for some reason they on't allow fly fishing for grayling after xmas. Odd rule! may get the trotting gear out though and have a crack. Its been a while!

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Strange rule that as I would have liked to try the fly for the Grayling myself.