Gravel stolen from river

David Barber

Reaction score
THE ENVIRONMENT Agency is urging people to come forward with information about the theft of gravel from riverbeds, after a beauty spot on a tributary of the River Lune was targeted twice in a month.

Greystone Gill, on the River Wenning, near Bentham, has been highlighted by the agency as a hotspot for illegal gravel removal, which can spark major ecological damage to the river.

Permission is needed to remove gravel from watercourses but many people are either unaware of this or do not bother to apply.
An EA spokeswoman said that, on two occasions over the last month,
gravel, which is used for building foundations and garden drives, had
been taken from the bed of Greystone Gill.

T

The Monk

I always thought gravel was transient, so the EA own it now do they?

Dave German

Reaction score
how do they know somes missing, do they count it. Ea officers will be frisking anglers leaving to make sure theres none in pockets.

T

trev matthews

they will leave no stone unturned in their efforts to catch the offenders

A

Andy "the Dog" Nellist (SAA) (ACA)

It may well have been spawn bound

J

john conway

The place they nicked the gravel form is just up the road from where I work in High Bentham. You can drive down a little track with a JCB and dig out the river bed. Re the close season this is a game river and the season is open. By far a greater problem is the massive pipe-work system they are putting in at the moment it?s really screwing up all the little becks with silt and it?s going to get worse if we have any amount of rain.
At the FM fish-in on the Ribble Andy Nellist and my self commented on a ruddy great hole in the river bank/bed where someone had been excavating gravel from the river, however, for all I know they may have had a license.

W

Wolfman Woody

Can't blame Peter Stone for this.

Perhaps anglers have been mixing it in with their GROUNDbait.

W

Wolfman Woody

You would know Monk, living in Roads.

(mispelling of Rhodes deliberate)

T

The Monk

Rhodes "Village" Jeff, we live at the posh end mate,

we have an inside toilet and only used the Times on the paper hook

Morespiders

Reaction score
How many pieces of gravel were taken?, and was there any big pieces.Look no further than the immigrants, pinch everything else.

Was there any fish taken?.

N

NomadPaul

they said it had happened more than once ? How much in total do you think ? Someone should work out the aggregate....:)