E.A Hotline...

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
After discussing some clowns nightfishing at my club's 'no nightfishing' lake with another member last Sunday I took a stroll down by the Derwent.

It was a warmish evening and very picturesque near Darley Abbey, I was looking at the Corporation owned water before the season starts again.

I noticed a guy repeatedly casting and retrieving hidden by trees and bushes to the outside world.

'Maybe he's game fishing' I thought.

However next to him downstream were another two blokes at least with quiver tip set ups and down from them a girl of about 15 waded out into the river on a submerged slab of old wall. She opted for a more traditional gnarled old tree branch with line attached directly to the end.

Enraged I reached for my mobile and for the first time rang the E.A emergency hotline number stored within.

'This number is not free from mobile phones, please re-dial omitting the first zero' came the response.

I followed instructions and got 'Bee Bee Beep, the number you have dialed is not recognised, please try again'.

What type of phone do the E.A think people spotting an 'emergency' on the riverbank might use?

In short the only phone box I could find in the area had been vandalised so the (definately English, I heard them talking) poaching bar stewards got away with it.

J

Jeff Spiller

Hi Paul I've just been having the same conversation with D.B, I came across some lad's fishing my local river in the last closed season and asked them if they realized it was closed, they said that they didn't but continued to fish.
I rang the E.A hot line and told that there was not anyone around as it was the weekend.
It does make me wonder why we bother with license's.

njb51

Reaction score
Reported someone fishing at my local lake the other day. Phoned the local EA office and reported it to them. They phoned me back and told me they were sending someone out to the place and that they had received many similar reports recently about this place. They then told me they were trying to sort something out with the police.

J

Jeff Spiller

This season I think that I'll get a rod and line license and pay the ACA and then go poaching ( on Baz's bit ).

P

Phil Hackett The common Boastful Expert :-)

The EA are quite good at spinning and publicising how many people they catch fishing without a license.
What they never report is how many they catch and prosecute fishing rivers out of season.
Why is that?

May be one or erstwhile journalists from one of the weeklies might want to ask them the question under the FOI Act.
And do a valuable piece of investigative reporting if the figures are low, and expose them for failing in their duty.

Any takes AT AM?

Bob Roberts

Reaction score
If the EA want to catch folk fishing rivers in the closed season I can take them to an area of the River Dearne where I've seen anglers fishing every Sunday that I've gone out for a walk. Seen 'em on the same River at Harlington, brazen as you like.

Last Saturday someone was fishing the Don at Sprotborough just 20 yards below the road bridge. The sign on the gate post telling folk it's the closed season as you walk between the layby and where he was fishing has been ripped off...

Anytime now you'll be able to see folk fishing just upstream of St Georges flyover bridge on the northern entrance to Doncaster. They trun up every year at this time.

It's an easy story that demands writing. Journalist goes out with EA team to snare out of season poachers. Take along a Tight Lines TV crew, syndicate the lot.

NFA, NUBA, NASA - where are you?

Will angling fight back? Somehow I doubt it.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Has anybody got any ideas on why there is a lack of the E.A. doing raids on rivers in the closed season? Especially when we see their headlines now and again, (E.A. crack down on illegal anglers).
And I don't think it is down to shortage of manpower. There has been plenty of fuss made about it recently on this website alone. So why the delay?

T

The Monk

NASA doesnt exist anymore Bob, its SAA now and they are desperately short of body`s to help out

Bob Roberts

Reaction score
No Monk, I meant THE NASA.

Track the buggers down by sattelite!

Point taken.

But a few press releases supporting and highlighting the cause is not a lot to ask from folk who set themselves up to represent angling.

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
How did you contact them Jeff?

I used the 0800 807060 number which is apparantly 24 hour and can be used to report illegal fishing.

I'm on O2 and it just wouldn't work.

I even tried replacing the forst zero with +44 and that didn't work either.

J

Jeff Spiller

Only joking Baz
Paul I just rang the hot line 0800 807060, from my mobile.
I alway's make a point of asking them "any good mate" and them tell them that it is the closed season and see what they say.
A bloke told me the other day, that it didn't count on a free stretch, b****ks
it counts on all rivers, I'm going to get in trouble one day, just can't stop myself telling them.

J

John H Member of THE C.S.G.. & The A.T.

Telephoned the EA last year 06-06-2006 and said I wanted report 3 anglers fishing illegally for coarse fish on the river.(all using multiple rods) What made me think it was illegal I was asked????