Heartening news

K

Kevan Farmer

Early last year my son really got bitten by the angling bug. I went out and bought him some decent kit - no second hand cast offs that has seen better days 20 years ago. He itches to go fishing - we all know that feeling well. Come Xmas and he received more tackle - bits and pieces. He went back to school to find that a good deal of his mates had also received tackle for Xmas. He then told me that he had been spreading the word about how good fishing is.

The upshot is that in my area at least there is a growing nucleus of new fishermen. This is just what the sport needs let's hope it is happening in other areas.

Kevan

A

Ashe Hurst

I know what you mean.
My boy is then now,started him off when he was about 5.then the boy next door and his cousin wanted to come along.
Soon the boy two doors up ,his brother too taged along.Then there was one of their friends from round the corner.
Lent them some bits and bobs,and they learnt quickley,eagerly telling their parents how much they enjoid it.
Soon the mums and dads bought them tackle,just enough to get them started.You know the kits you get in argos .
Then there are those you meet on the bank,you know the ones who havnt any shot or hooks and offer you 50p for a pint of maggots and a ciggi.
They see the others with my son ,fishing and not playing silly buggers or renacting zulu with rods and bank sticks.
They ask questions, ill help them out,if they are struggling then im willing to help them out.And its great to see them have a result.
I know not all of them will continue to fish .some will come back to it maybe,but most will stick at it through their lifes,as did I.
I now take my daughter out in the warmer months,shes had weed fish, leaf fish,stick fish, two finger fish oh a small perch and a 2lb roach.shes 7.I started when i was 5.went every other weekend till i was old enough to go on my own,didnt catch my first fish till i was 14.But never gave up.

K

Kevan Farmer

Ashe that was one hell of a blank mate ;-) from 5 yrs old to 14. Now that is what I call dedication. I was quite late - for lads, no sexism intended it's just that girls seem to start later in life if they are going to take up fishing, take our own Wendy as an exmple. No I don't mean she's old - she's younger than me. I didn't start fishing until I was about 12 or 13. No one was there to help I had to learn it all from books. I'm just happy to be able to teach my son first hand.

Kevan

M

Michael Hall

the one problam with some women is that they think maggots are all dirty and horrible. However this next year a young lass in my school wants to have a go so I`ll take her along!
Like you kevan I teached my self and have never regreted it as I can combine my ways of fishing with others and I have found that my resulfs have changed noticably!

W

Wendy Perry

I have told some of the mum's at school i will take them with me when i'm better to show them how good fishing really can be they think i am a saddo so i said ok well come with me and i'll show you how sad i really am LOL so a few of them have agreed god knows what kinda we'll have but i'm sure it will be fun ;)

K

Kevan Farmer

Nice one Wendy. Hope it goes well and a few of them get bitten by the angling bug.

Kevan

R

Robert Draper

I have the Ladybird book of Coarse Fishing to thank for my introduction. I don't think that there are any books of that nature around any more, maybe the powers that be could commission JK Rowling to write Harry Potter and the Magic Gudgeon...

A

Ashe Hurst

Mr Hall,
A first date and you want to take her fishing???