Do i need a special one?

Wendy Perry 2

Reaction score
Hi to all you helpful kind hearted people out there, ok i have a question.

When fishing the pellet on a float do you need a certain kind of float?

I never fish pellet on a float, and i want to try it out at Clattercote next week. I will be using a hair rig with a pellet band tied to it, but don't know what float to use it with. Do they do a special float ?

njb51

Reaction score
Yes they do special pellet floats. I can't work out the point myself! Any float will do.

pcpaulh

Reaction score
Like Jonny said they do make them, I think Middy do some. But I can't see why you'd need them?!

Wendy Perry 2

Reaction score
oh i forgot to add as well i'm going to be using an 8mm pellet.

I would have thought any big waggler would do, but i don't know, that's why i'm asking?

J

Jeff Spiller

Wendy if you buy an Angling Times this week, which I'm sure you do.
There's one free, stuck to the front page.

keora

Reaction score
Wendy, the common or garden waggler will do just fine. The free float in this week's AT has a very thick tip and looks a bit crude to me. It may be useful though, if you fish one of those overstocked fisheries where carp compete for anglers' baits

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Hell's teeth, I thought it was for livebaiting and left the paper on the rack!

I guess they've re-invented "Strangulating 'em" - a method I've heard of, but am too young to have seen - which involved suspeding a grain of hemp from a big float. then feeding hemp constantly. The big float made it self-hooking, allegedly. If that fooled Thames roach, the same tactic with pellets should reduce F1 fishing to one long unhooking excercise.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Wendy, the "pellet waggler up in the water" is very fashionable at the moment but it is a very good method. However, it is a very active method needing very frequent constant feeding of pellets to create a feeding zone through the top layers of the water and very frequent casting and retrieving. This weeks AT has a good article to accompany the free float.

It can only be as effective as your feeding. Constantly catapulting pellets and casting for 5 hours is hard work but is designed to get the carp off the bottom and up in the water (and keep them there).

Some of the bigger wagglers are designed to splash and make a noise which also brings the carp around. But it's no good casting to the horizon with these 20g+ monsters if you cant accurately feed there (although you can catapult g/bait which breaks up very quickly).

At Clattercote, I'm sure you'll see a variation on this theme with the "baggin waggler". Again the aim is to get the carp up in the water but this time with a big "waggler" with a frame around it's base onto which you mould groundbait. Again, very active and hard work but can be a real carp catcher on its day.

None of the above can be described as delicate waggler fishing. When it works it's a real smash 'n grab and hold onto your rod method!

Wendy Perry 2

Reaction score
Is there really jeff? i haven't picked mine up from my newsagent yet. I'll get it in the morning now!

cheers Guys !

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
I picked it up for perching Alan!

Hemp.......now there's a thought!

Get one of them gurt big "splashers" Wend ;-)

Wendy Perry 2

Reaction score
Steve, i don't fancy that bagging waggler, i read about them on the net, they look too big for me to handle ;)

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Pellets "up" in the water are working Wend, but the weather is going to play its part!

Wendy Perry 2

Reaction score
Cheers Neil, sorry i hadn't read your post before i posted then. I just fancied having a go at it. A friend of mine has been using it and says it's working at the minute.

I've seen some pics of that bagging one and they look huge!

Ste, i know that's my only worry the weather, and at Clattercote the wind is awful!

W

Wolfman Woody

I had the wind in Wycombe yesterday and that was awful too.

Pellets floats, splashing wagglers, pah!

It's either the Baggin waggler or ...........

Hehehehehehehhehhehhehheh! NO CHANCE! Hehhehhehehehehehehehe!

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Of course you can use pellets with "normal" wagglers as well Wendy. I've used 6ml, 8ml and 10ml hard pellets when waggler fishing at GV.

If I'm deliberately targetting the carp (on pole or waggler) I'll use a pellet or two on a hair. But I usually attach a pellet band to the hair and pull that through the drilled pellet. When fishing two pellets I often mount the first pellet as usual and "band" the second one. Sounds daft but I reckon I've had more carp that way than with two normally hair rigged pellets.

P

Phil Hackett The common Boastful Expert :-)

The baggin' waggler I got free with something, makes a great loafer float for chub :0)

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Wendy, I have used a waggler for fishing pellets at all depths from the surface to the bottom and take my word for it you don't need any special float, I generally use a 3 AA. If the pellets are floaters you will need a small shot to sink it, try this at home and see what is the smallest shot you need to achieve this, a slow falling bait is the ideal to aim for rather than one that goes straight down.

Always remember, fancy floats catch more anglers than they do fish, stick to the tried and trusted ones.

Wendy Perry 2

Reaction score
I just got my AT for this week and i think that float looks great, i will give it a go anyway. They also have a feature on how to use it! Perfect!

Graham, thank you for the advice, i'll try that.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Neil writes:

"Wendy, I'll show you mine at Clattercote. I've got a couple of 20gm ones!"

Come on Neil, if you are going to impress the young lady you'll need more than a pair around 20 grammes ;-)

Wendy, as others have already said, any suitable sized straight waggler will work perfectly well.

The method is really better used when it has been reasonably warm for a while and for when the Carp are happy to feed on or near the surface.

Previous years at Clattercote the wind has been a real factor with most of the fish deep down.