Sprats as bait....

soffit

Reaction score
We is in the sprat season. A very tasty morsel; just bought sixteen for 59p from Tesco for my own consumption. Much the same was for half this price in the 'Reduced' Section. Half-a-Dozen mainbaits and the rest mashed up with some Tesco's ' Poor Man's White Loaf' at 47p fell into my mind.

The lower reaches of the river not many bother to fish as it is a bitch to get to but apparently holds some decent perch [No pike in Cornwall apparently:confused:]

Anyone got any tips on dead-baiting for perch. I like active fishing so a spinning rig for small deadbait or trotting with a smelly head?

PS: Got too many anchovies at Tesco's like you do. Roach and perch love them in my river....I don't know if I have discovered a new superbait or they are just very hungry...

chav professor

Reaction score
We is in the sprat season. A very tasty morsel; just bought sixteen for 59p from Tesco for my own consumption. Much the same was for half this price in the 'Reduced' Section. Half-a-Dozen mainbaits and the rest mashed up with some Tesco's ' Poor Man's White Loaf' at 47p fell into my mind.

The lower reaches of the river not many bother to fish as it is a bitch to get to but apparently holds some decent perch [No pike in Cornwall apparently:confused:]

Anyone got any tips on dead-baiting for perch. I like active fishing so a spinning rig for small deadbait or trotting with a smelly head?

PS: Got too many anchovies at Tesco's like you do. Roach and perch love them in my river....I don't know if I have discovered a new superbait or they are just very hungry...

sounds an interesting idea! the problem from recolection is that anchovies are pretty soft - and I woyuld just eat them, love'em!!

Bet they would be a great additive in trout pellet type pastes! i shall give them a go for perch and roach...... nice idea and good to think outside the box

Morespiders

Reaction score
Had big perch in the past on air injected anchovies, not easy getting the air in them though

soffit

Reaction score
Had big perch in the past on air injected anchovies, not easy getting the air in them though

Methinks you is taking the Michelle:) Have caught roach on the white anchovies in garlic oil:)

Serious about the sprats... seems like an idea. I recall spinning deadbaits for pike where you just had a trace with a couple of trebles and hooked it so there was a bend in the deadbait to induce some sort of wobble. The Noknot and a single could do the same?

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Unless I'm using the wrong brand (I assume we are talking about tinned here) I have always found them far too soft for hooking and casting any distance (perhaps my hooks were not fine enough) and wasted far more than I used......Never could be sure if the bait remained intact unless dropped in the margins etc.
I tried hair rigging but to no avail.

Are you able to enlarge on casting distances Morespiders?

Morespiders

Reaction score
No TCee, they were only dropped in the margins, and were fresh anchovies, tinned ones are just to soft

soffit

Reaction score
The ones I use are the white fillets normally in garlic oil rather than tinned ones which are very soft indeed. Because the fillets still have their skin on they make resonably durable bait.... about the same ballpark as sweetcorn.

red creel

Reaction score
sounds an interesting idea! the problem from recolection is that anchovies are pretty soft - and I woyuld just eat them, love'em!!

Bet they would be a great additive in trout pellet type pastes! i shall give them a go for perch and roach...... nice idea and good to think outside the box

They sure are although i go for the easier option and use the Anchovy paste that comes in toothpaste type tubes.Mixed with either self raising flour or semolina it makes a very angler friendly paste.

Morespiders

Reaction score
Ey up Spiders,thought you'd emigrated.Where does one get fresh anchovies from then....bearing in mind that "Dahn Sarf" all proper fishmongers became mobile phone shops or KFC's a long time ago ?
Got them from Morrisons Skip, only ever had them twice just got to be lucky when you go in, still about mate, just dont post as much these days, getting lazy

Reaction score
Oh bloopers..you've jsut reminded me I've got those spratts from last winter still in the freezer!! I don't think she's noticed yet...although....I just thought the horse's head on the pillow was me not getting seasonally appropriate Christmas cards...the ones I bought were too gloomy...!!:eek:mg::doh:(and that last bit isn't a joke...)

Morespiders

Reaction score
Oh bloopers..you've jsut reminded me I've got those spratts from last winter still in the freezer!! I don't think she's noticed yet...although....I just thought the horse's head on the pillow was me not getting seasonally appropriate Christmas cards...the ones I bought were too gloomy...!!:eek:mg::doh:(and that last bit isn't a joke...)
Get some fresh ones plenty in M orrisons at the moment