Do you use an indicator

Wendy Perry 2

Reaction score
hi guys, when i fished a resevoir the day an old guy told me i should use an indicator, like a float type thing. I didn't know what he was talking about, so he showed me and put one on my line. I thought it was great, and gave me something to watch.

Do you use one for the still waters? If so what type?

Richard Baker 6

Reaction score
Hi Wendy,

I use them extensively for my winter grayling fishing on rivers. Not as much for bite detection, as to keep my flies fishing at the correct depth. Theyre an absolute godsend. In summer when rivers are lower I generally just do without (which I prefer).

I don't care if people describe it as float fishing. I used to coarse fish a great deal, trotting being one of my favourite ways to fish. Using the indicator takes me back to that and I enjoy it.

Cheers

Rich

P.S will show you how to use one on the Tame in a couple of weeks.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Wendy,

You raise another potentially imotive topic - indicators for fly fishing.

Personally, I don't use them at all preferring a more 'traditional' approach.

I can see where Richard is coming from though as you can more easily govern the depth that you are fishing by using one.

As with a lot of these 'ideas' whether or not you decide to put it into practice is a personal decision, there being no right or wrong but simple preferrence.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Ah the dreaded bung!! I say!!

It's tantamount to bladdy poaching sah!! Set the dogs on those that do it Jeeves what?

There is only one method of fishing at that is the dray flay apstream what?

Wendy Perry 2

Reaction score
Richard, yes i'm looking forward to our day out on the Tame.

Peter you know me i love a good topic :)

S

Shrek

Yes, Wendy, you can use as many as you like and the bigger they are the better!!!

Plus, it will get right up Ron's nose!!!!!

Only thing you might find is, if it is quite windy, they will hinder your casting a bit.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Ron,

What do you think Frederick Maurice Halford might have had to say about using "Indicators"?

For that matter I think that a certain G.E.M. Skues would be turning in his grave, don't you?

Skues on Indications:

"The indications which tell your dry-fly angler when to strike are clear and unmistakable, but those which bid a wet-fly man raise his rod-point and draw in the steel are frequently so subtle, so evanescent and impalpable to the senses, that, when the bending rod assures him he has divined aright, he feels an ecstasy as though he had performed a miracle each time."

;-)

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Seriously Wendy, if you want to fish with a bung, you are at liberty to do so on this water. The only rules are thus.

Debarbed hooks and no flies larger than an 8. Also no boobies.

Old Arthur Cove never used an add-on indicator of any kind, yet that man caught one of the heaviest tonnages of trout from still waters and reservoirs that has ever been known. He had superb eyesight and feel did old Arthur, as well as an angler's sixth sense. He used to watch the tip of his floating fly line (he never used a sinker) and feel for takes as well. Tomorrow Wendy I will show you how to detect the faintest take without the use of a bung.

One thing that is very true is that trout will often take your fly without you knowing it. And I must admit that a bung helps people with failing eyesight considerably.

But they can mess up your casting considerably.

Wendy Perry 2

Reaction score
I'll be ok then i don't have boobies hahaha.

aww adrian i don't want to get up Ron's nose he is my friend and helps me. Ron, i will let you be my teacher tomorrow, i will walk away from press manor as good as Jean Wuff!

The Bone Collector

Reaction score
Wendy, the only problem with a sight bob is that some anglers use it as they would a float by fishing static, they may as well use a rod rest as well.

If you watch Graham use one you will see he is always working the line, always taking up the slack, he uses it to catch the drift, slackening and tightening when the conditions demand it, in short he has total control.

There is a degree of skill in using a bung on rivers and still waters but no skill if your just sat their waiting for it to go under.

You don't exclusively need a bung for an indicator, many anglers use a dry fly instead on a short top dropper, it is just as good as a bung, cast better and best of all a fish could and often will take it.

If you do use a bung then use it to your advantage and don't just stand or sit there watching it waiting for it to disappear.

Good luck BC.

PS If you see old marsbar getting tired and just sat there watching his float without any hand movements O'oooooo!!!.....

.....give him a yell and tell him to do it properly. Keep those hands and fingers moving lads and ladies.

Hope to see you all tomorrow but things are looking grim at the moment.

Wendy Perry 2

Reaction score
Awww BC, i hope you make it! I've fly fished with Graham at Ellerdine lakes and he caught some good fish, i never used a float then because i was retreiving the line, I didn't fish static. When i fished this reervoir last week it was an old guy who said to use the indicator, and NOT to retreive? that when you fish a buzzer, you fished it static?

It confuses me so much.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Trout will often take buzzers when they are fished static. They will also take them when they are retrieved quite quickly.

Personally I like a breeze coming from my left. I then cast out and let the flies drift whilst keeping contact with them with a slow figure-of-eight retrieve.

Most times you feel the take in this situation.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

I get tired these days too.

Can anyone lend me a bung tomorrow?

W

Wolfman Woody

"Wendy, the only problem with a sight bob is that some anglers use it as they would a float by fishing static, they may as well use a rod rest as well."

There's some like that who fish Farmoor. Cast out and sit back eating sandwiches and drinking all day. Worse than bloomin carp anglers.

So, everyone gets to meet the Bone Collector tomorrow, eh? You all come back wised up on the history of Liston's Bar then.

Enjoy, all of you.

shootinfishin

Reaction score
It's not fly fishin IMHO.

That said, I can see the benefit when it comes to buzzers, as I can't bear not retrieving my line.

S

Sean Meeghan

I'm going to try that tomorrow! Matched reservoir rods, booby on one bunged buzzers on the other. Rod pod, comfy chair, paper and a few beers.

What do you think Woody?

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Me and a mate once went out one morning onto Grafham dam wall. Its was so misty you could hardly see a hand in front of your face.

There we found a bloke with two rods, a rod pod and buzzers fishing boobies and sitting back on a stool.