just been given notification of redundancy

nicky

Reaction score
After working in the same company for 10 years I have just been told they are closing my factory.

I have been given an extended contract untill dec 31st to help with the transfer to the new factory after that i'm on my own.

In the meantime come july i will only have to work tues, wed, and thurs.

I'm looking forward to having 4 days a week off as i have worked my guts out for the last ten years without any decent break it will be great to get out and do a bit of extra fishing and relax.

They have offered a nice bonus come dec as an insentive to be co-operative so all in all things should be ok.

I wanted to get a new job anyway so it has worked out not too bad, still a bit of a shock to the system though after spending almost all my working life in the same company

Deanos

Reaction score
You have a brilliant attitude Nicky, and I wish you all the best.
I have followed / am following a similar pattern with my own working life.
In my case step by step bringing myself out of a job that I no longer want to do (16 years with the same company).
Luckily I have another ?career? to move into, but the way I choose to live my life becomes my own, and the future in my hands.
I refuse to let the system chew me up and spit me out. Enjoy your fishing and freedom mate, balance is a brilliant thing in life!

The Bone Collector

Reaction score
Good luck Nicky make the most of it, hope you catch loads.

Midweek fishing, you just cannot beat it and best of luck for the future.

E

Eric Hayes

Congratulations nicky, I found out 3 weeks ago they are making me redundant in July after 18 years loyal service. At least I'll have the money for that Chimera 2 I've had my eye on. Well you've got to get your priority's right

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Good luck Nicky and Eric. It happened to me and at first it was a shock, but we always get through the bad situations in life and usually come out stronger.

Get them rods out ;-)

E

Eric Hayes

Thanks Steve. At first I was bitter but now I've come to accept it. I'm looking forwards to doing something I want to do for a change, no more digging someone else's hole. I've always had a childhood dream to be a gondolier and now theres nothing holding me back, failing that a tobogganist looks like a good carer ;o)

nicky

Reaction score
Thanks for your support guys, sorry to here you're in a similar position eric but i hope it works out ok for you.

I'm not to worried as my pay off will be enough to pay off all my debts, and there will be enough left to do something nice at the end of it, so hopefully i will walk away a free man.

I did want to leave a couple of months ago as i've had enough of dealing with the ar*e holes, but was worried i wouldn't be able to get a job with the same money to cover my existing bills and felt a bit trapped.

I did allright out of the company though as when i first joined i was an almost unemployable dreadlocked hippy who'd been through a rough time and was living in the gutter, i started as a production worker on ?115 per week and worked my way up to quality, servicing and engineering support manager, plus they also paid for me to go to college and uni.

I'm now happily married with three kids, (married last year in cuba) and chuffed with my lot considering where i came from.

Y

yoggy

You lucky bugger!!!, Enjoy your break mate.

Hello Eric,Sorry to hear it mate.Although the Chimera does make up for it!!! ;-)

Have you thought about a Peregrine??.
I`ve just bought one [well actually the wife did!!] quality bit of kit mate.

ideal for the Ribble!!!

E

Eric Hayes

Hiya Yoggs I did look at the Peregrine but I've already got a Chimera 3 and I love it. I'm after something with a lighter TC for general use so the Chimera 2 was a natural choice. They ain't the thinest blank in the world but they have a superb powerful action and a sensitive tip, just what I like in a rod. I'm gonna get Dave Lumb to build it for me as soon as I can come to terms with the price :eek:)

Y

yoggy

I know mate,thats why I got the wife to part with 180 quid of her money.......;-)

Actually it was a birthday present.I`d been looking at them for some time but the price put me off. A few of the lads on here swear by them so I went for it!. I`m glad I did,the action is superb. I opted for the 11ft Gti.Its ideal for the waters I fish.

I`ve heard good things about Daves rods so no doubt you`ll have a cracking rod there mate. All the best.

pcpaulh

Reaction score
Good luck in your fishing Nicky and your new job when it comes. Same to you Eric.

Definatly worth getting Eric, I bought one on a 11ft blank, same rod though. The thing is brilliant.

I payed the same price as Yoggy as I was told they only roll the 11fts to demand. Although on the plus side I got to personalise it. I had Harrisions do all the buliding and they made a great job of it (as you'd expect).

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Good luck to both of you. I got "kicked out" after 31 years "man & boy". Tremendous shock at the time and a bit bitter and twisted for a while but that was 5 years ago.

Much happier with our life style now and if you've got a good partner/family, then it makes it all a bit easier.

David Craine

Reaction score
Nick, it seems that you are in good company so far as your work situation, many posters seem to have or going through a similar xperience.It
is a sad reflection of employment /company ethic these days...best of luck in the future to you, and anybody else in a similar position.
I have worked for the same employer for 28 years, and at times I have wished that somebody had forced me out for a fresh start, call it cowardice on my part, I have become comfortable in my "comfort zone", I will be retiring soon, and looking back, (Pension apart ) I think that a change would have been very good for me.Again all the best, the future may hold good things as yet not revealed.
David

nicky

Reaction score
thanks guys for you kind posts, david i can totally empaphise you with i think it's just difficult to move when you have been in the same job for so long i felt the same as you

Chevin

Reaction score
Hi Nicky, I have been made redundant three times in my life and on two of those occasions I finished up a lot better off than I would have been had I stayed where I was. The third occasion made no difference what-so-ever.

You appear to have a positive attitude about it all and I am sure that you will be able to turn this adversity to your advantage. One thing that I would suggest though is that you look for another job while you are still working. It always seems to be much easier to get another job while you have have one. (Christ! I sound like one of those bloody agony aunts who give advice in womens' magazines! *LOL*)

Best wishes, chevin

nicky

Reaction score
yes cheers chev, they said there maybe a job in tewskbury for me at the end of it all but that would mean having to move to england, nothing wrong with england but i like wales better, would also loose out on my redundancy package