What no fish ???

H

Huw Clark

Hello everyone, I'm a new member to F.M., and so far I'm very impressed.
I have a question which has bothered me for some time now. I live in Newport, South Wales, and it appears that there are absolutely no coarse fishing venues in this area. None that are advertised anyway. Are we in Wales so isolated (or zenophobic) that, either we don't want others coming here to fish, or we are so embarrassed by the standard of our venues that we are'nt prepared for cross border visits?
I just find it very frustrating that when I try to find a new venue to fish, none appear to be relatively local. Don't get me wrong, I am more than happy to travel to fish, but sometimes you just want a local peg for a few hours. Any help, or local knowledge.
By the way, I'm a recently exiled Brummie, so I don't know this area very well yet.
Up the Baggies !!!

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Newport South Wales.

I had a business colleague who lived there and he loved his fishing. Not far from there is some of the best sea fishing in Britain. Not only that, you will find some truly excellent trout and sea trout fishing in the rivers.

There are a number of excellent still water trout fisheries too.

Forget coarse fishing; once you have a nice sewin jumping about on the end of your line you will not want to go coarse fishing again.

H

Huw Clark

Blimey, you get some quick replies on here don't you?
As it happens, I am not much of a "fluff-chucker", but, hopefully a friend of mine is about to coach me in this ancient art form.
Therefore, currently I am stuck with coarse fish. Don't have any sea fishing tackle either. I obviously do specifics rather than generalities, shame.
Didn't realise there were sea trout (sewin) running the rivers of South Wales, I thought they inhabited the more Northern waters, but I'd love to be proven wrong.
Thanks for the advice.

nicky

Reaction score
no fishing venues?
there's loads

I live in caerphilly which is just down the road.

you have morgans and woodstock at the bob small fishery right smack bang in newport, there must be 6 fisheries just in newport alone.

another cracking place for small fish but good sport is the 14 locks in rogerstone which is minutes from newport

caerphilly castle moat which has good tench, roach, carp and bream fishing,

in newport again you have the river ebbw which is free fishing around the tredegar park area,

in between newport and caerphiily about 10 mins drive you have the river rhymmney which must be one of the best grayling rivers in the country, also good for chub

in cardiff you have the river taff which is renownd for it's barbel fishing, but also has other coarse fish including huge grayling

you have the taff feeder stream in cardiff which is a brilliant little free fishing spot once it re-opens

you have the canal in malpas newport which also has pike.

go to www.cymfishing.com and have a look at the venue report to be honest you are spoilt for choice

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

You see Huw, there is loads and loads of fishing. Never get stuck to one particular style of fishing. Go out and learn to fly fish, and to lure fish, and to sea fish. You never know what part of the world you might get to one day.

Variety is the spice of life.

J

john conway

>Variety is the spice of life.<
Never a truer word Ron.
Just watched one of those housing programmes on the tele just half an hour ago and I'm really impressed with South Wales. I know it well from a caving point of view and the people are great, so is the sea fishing.
When I moved into the Dales many years ago I thought there was no coarse fishing so I took up fly fishing the later discovered the River Lune and my PB bream leapt from 3lb to 11lb. Never right an area off.
Nicky, how big do the chub go in the River Rhymmney?

H

Huw Clark

Nicky, thankyou for so much information, I've now got loads of areas to explore. I also echo Johns request, "how big do the chub go in the river Rhymmney?"
I drove past Caerphilly Castle the other day, and thought how 'fishy' the waters looked. Do you know if it's a day ticket venue, and where to get them from?

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

My old friend from South Wales was one - Tony Jenkins - Sea and game angler and rugby fanatic. If you ever read this Tony, send me a PM Boyo!

nicky

Reaction score
it's only a small river so stalking and concealment is the order of the day i have had chub to 4lb but i'm sure there are bigger ones.

your better off becoming a member ?30 first year ?20 thereafter, that gives you acces to the moat and some good stretches on the rhymmney, or ?5 for a day ticket, or ?15 for a river only license, available at tony's tackle right opposite the moat.

mind you i enquired about joining newport anglers which i think was ?30 and you get access to about 6 waters in newport, i've only fished morgans a few times recently whilst exploring my local venues and thought it was ok, seen reports of the odd 10lb bream coming out of there so worth a look

J

john conway

nicky, a 4lb chub is a good chub for a small river, even more so if the river is not classed as a low land river. The Chub Study Group considers any chub above 4lb is a specimen fish.
I've just had a look at our members list and we have no one in South Wales, also there is no CSG specimen Chub recorded for the river Rhymmney?
One of my ambitions over the next few years is to add a few more rivers to the CSG's list of specimen Chub Rivers. The record is only open to CSG members, maybe nicky or Huw, you should consider joining?
Anyhow, best of luck Huw in this coming coarse fishing season and I hope you find some interesting fishing in South Wales, be it coarse, game or sea.

S

Stevie 12345

I dont know where abouts in SW you are from but im pretty sure that White Springs is down there somewhere, google white springs and im sure you come up the locations etc. Its a commercial type venue with a variety of different lakes canals etc. maybe something there will tackle your fancy

nicky

Reaction score
what does being a member of the csg consist of.
and what is classed as a lowland river, i do like my chub

J

john conway

The Aims & Objectives of the CSG
Are:-
1. The capture and study of large Chub by means of pooling of ideas, facilitated by the publication of a group magazine.
2. Participation in either group or personal study whereby all information is circulated to the members of the Group.
Nicky. If you are interested further email me and I'll post more information.
Nicky, don't take this the wrong way but when any other FM member clicks on your name you've decided not to give any information about yourself and this may restrict what other FM members post in the way of information.

J

john conway

nicky,
What determines a low land river is it's geography. A lowland river has a high percentage of its length at a low altitude. In general, lowland rivers are slow flowing, not subjected to flash floods, meandering with a plentiful supply of natural food.

nicky

Reaction score
Hi John no offence taken whatsoever, I just hadn't really thought about updating my profile untill you mentioned it, i've now filed it in.

no you have explained it i wouldn't call the rhym a lowland river as it starts up in the valleys and works it's way down to cardiff where i think it ends up in the estuary.

It often runs very low after a period of drier weather such as we have had recently and can flood in the space of a few hours

It's mostly shallow and fast with the odd deep run here and there.

T

The Monk

Newport South wales, I opened your ASDA store down there many years ago, welcome to the site, no coarse fish, have a word with the scousers up here, they`ll get you anything

H

Huw Clark

Gawsh, an embarrasment of riches. John, I'd like to get more info on the CSG, Chub are my favourite fish. Mainly because the first fish I caught on the Severn, in Newtown, Powys was a chub, and I've never had a fight like it since.
Monk, I've finally found the person to blame for spending every night like a vampire, stalking the ailes of ASDA, looking for fresh stock to pick....B'stard.

H

Huw

I'ts a good job you're annonymous, the devil would'nt help you, and it's the only place you'll be going after a blasphemy like that.