how boring

nicky

Reaction score
Fished my local today and caught plenty of small carp of a couple of pounds in weight.

I was fishing the float but didn't get any sense of excitement, maybe because they are newly stocked fish i dont know but i just found the spark was missing.

Is it just me or do you find this type of fishing has lost it's air of mystery

W

Wolfman Woody

When it predictable in size and species, it can get a little boring. Well, very boring in fact.

What is exciting about angling is the unknown. And just like Graham said in his article, it doesn't have to be a universally big fish, just a big fish for where you're fishing.

Y

yoggy

.........Which is the reason I much prefere river fishing. For me the anticipation and excitement is far greater.

HEMP HEAD

Reaction score
Give me 20 pound of roach or 50 pound of bream on a natural water anyday.Much more satisfying.But that is only my opinion.

T

trev matthews

I dont think I will ever lose my spark for fishing, if however, my fishing becomes predictable on any given water I simply go somewhere else for a few months, Ive even been known to blow the cobwebs of my sea kit and drive to the coast for a weekend of something different.

nicky

Reaction score
dont get me wrong i love my fishing and i'm continually fishing different places and trying different methods that's what makes it fun for me, it's just that my local did need a boost in the form of restocking but why have they opted to re-stock it with carp three times over the last year or so.

Seems like they are trying to turn it into one of these commercial carp fisheries where you can bag up on 100lb of carp.

Is it even possible to target any other species now, try for tench you are likely to catch carp, set up a perch rig with a lob what you gonna catch, carp, try for bream you are probably gonna catch carp.

what a load of crap i mean carp

Wendy Perry 2

Reaction score
I have to agree it's not my type of fishing either. Yoggy you are spot on River fishing is for me too, i love the excitement of the rivers!

J K

Reaction score
I fished the local canal yesterday, the first time in probably 30 years. I fished about 50 yards below a lock and overflow. I was expecting it to be a competition as to whether there would be more boats than fish.

It was a spur of the moment thing and I only had sweetcorn and meat as bait. First chuck had a small chub and from then on even though I didn't catch a lot the excitement was there. Just small chub and roach but all the fish were in cracking condition. I can't wait to give it another go.

David Craine

Reaction score
Nicky, I think that we and others in aggreement must be in the silent majority, look at the thread about Woodland lakes at Thirsk... on the Course fishing Forum, it says it all.

Peter Bishop

Reaction score
When you know what size and species of fish will drag your float under and can even roughly predict the number or weight of them you will catch, then the art of angling ceases to have any value or meaning.

Our lives are often predictable and mundane, driven by routine and habit, so if our fishing is equally sanitised and regulated we simply fall into the trap of extending our lives away from fishing to the sport we profess to love for its 'thrills!

It is the challenge, the uncertainty, and the belief that one day you will catch your personnal goal or reach your your own everest, that keeps us going.

If angling did not have the capacity to both frustrate and astonish us all within the space of few minutes there would be no point partaking.

Those that want consistancy and regulation from the water in front of them are not true anglers-fish are merely a means to an end.

They might as well collect truffles or pine cones so they can take them to a central point ,get them weighed, and decide who wins the money.

nicky

Reaction score
Just read the thread Woodland lakes at Thirsk thread says it all really.

I know for another pond just up the road from me that is full of roach and isn't even owned buy anyone, there is the odd other fish that have found there way into there somehow, now when i hook into a carp or giant goldfish whatever up there after not seeing one for months now there's a buzz trying to get one out on light tackle, managed to get one after about two years of trying, and whilst they are only about 4lb i was like yes!!! i've done it, that would probably sound ridicolous to someone who spends all there time at commercials. see i dont really have anything against carp

Malc Bason

Reaction score
There is a massive difference between proper carp fishing and the sort of crap you have experienced though Nicky!

nicky

Reaction score
Yes i'm sure your right Malc.

I've never had time to become a proper carp angler as i can only really go once a week on a saturday morning, and i like to catch fish.

I did buy a single carp rod with bite alarm etc last year with the intentions of using it as a sleeper rod whilst getting on with my usual thing, thought if i can just catch one large carp in a whole season i would be happy

Malc Bason

Reaction score
I agree with the points you raise by the way, it must be very boring to sit by a muddy hole in a field, catching 2lb carp after 2lb carp that rely on anglers' bait for food.

But the trouble is mate there's a market, and whilst there is, people will sieze such business oportunities and make the most of it. Whilst there are numpties that want to fish like this, such people will continue to prosper.

What gets my back up as much as anything though, is these same numpties often then claim to be 'carp anglers'! I for one don't want to lumped in with these people.

How a line could be drawn is anyone's guess??

S

Scott Whatmore

The beauty of fishing as a hobby, a passion, or just for a bit of fun is that when the enjoyment stops and you are fed up or bored. Pack up and go home! There is always tomorrow, and it will be better!

Genuine question. What is a 'proper carp angler'?

nicky

Reaction score
i suppose people mean fishing for large clever carp, but all carp have to start somewhere.

things is what is going to happen when all these little carp grow up to be big carp, it's just mind boggling, or will they be stunted like you get when roach overrun a fishery

Malc Bason

Reaction score
To me Scott, a time served angler who, after gaining suitable experience, has chosen to fish specifically or primarily for carp, at venues where it is far from a fish a chuck. (to say the least!)

Someone who is prepared to put the time and effort into learning watercraft and applying such skills in the pursuit of, shall we say, more elusive carp, at venues that have a low stocking level per acre of water; and where there is an abundance of 'natural' food.

The comparative effort involved in catch a carp from such a place is great - and the rewards are equally great.

This is a world of difference to what has been described in the previous posts. To me - someone who fishes like this constitues a "proper carp angler" - should there really be such a title? I don't know. But as I've said above - I wish a line could be drawn.

Macca_EFC

Reaction score
If you want to fish somewhere where you don't know what you'll catch and want a challenge, try the Leeds Liverpool around Ormskirk/Southport, now that's a challenging water and I'd put a lot of money on it that there's not a single carp in the stretch to bother you, so that big worm may well turn up a nice perch, I fished it the other week for pike, didn't catch anything but it did make me try ever lure, every possible way to work the lures, depths, speed of retrieval etc, so if a challenge is what you want I'd suggest there!

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

I don't think it is a carp thing....the same boredom factor would apply be they barbel, chub, sturgeon etc etc.

The poor old carp gets to carry the brunt because they are easy to breed and therefore obtain and they pull a little.....so we get this type of fishery, that are in my mind an affront to our sport.

I love "real" carp fishing....my ideal would be a large still water or as this years plans, big river carp.....and i will have no idea whether the next one is 14lb or 44lb....thats my idea of real carp fishing.