Marsh Farm

marcus ballam

Reaction score
Hi

Has anyone had any experience of Marsh Farm (Godlaming A.S.)?

I'm off on tuesday to try to bag a p.b. crucian, any tips would be great!!!

Regards

Marcus

W

Wolfman Woody

Apparently, the crucians are real crucians.

That's all I know, but it comes from an EA man.

E

Evan

The old shy biting thing ?

- definitely holds true there !
Fine tackle, dotted down and don't feed too heavily too quickly.

Plus reasonably good tackle shop on site.

A wee bit featureless for my tastes, so if you like your fishing natural and with cowshit and branches over hanging then forget it. If you like manicured and accessible then away you go. Can get a bit windy at times, not a great deal of tree cover or wind breaking geography.

The Crucians and Tench are definitely for real though. 4lbs 2 ozs the biggest out so far this year I believe (4lbs 4 ozs 2 drams last year).

Whatever else you do do not go and look at the lake behind (Johnsons). It is so clear, gorgeous and stuffed with easily visible and freely feeding 20 - 30 lb carp it almost makes you want to blow the (expensive) membership money on Godalming there and then.....

marcus ballam

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, evan.

I take it harris is the lake to fish for the crucians then?

marcus ballam

Reaction score
Went yesterday. The lake was fishing badly (accordidng to the locals)

Only managed one crucian,2lb 1oz, so not complaining!!!

Witnessed another at 3lb 9oz, blimey!!!

Evan, you are right about the water being pretty featureless, but it has changed my view of commercials a little. The fish were in much better condition than i have seen at over "holes in the ground", and the banks are well planted out with sedges, iris, and reedmace. Plus the bacon rolls were more than welcome!!!

Dont't get me wrong, i'm not going to stop fishing rivers, and buy a pole, but i think i will be back to marsh farm again....

E

Evan

Glad it was a positive experience. I wasn't trying to be negative or off-putting in describing it as featureless, just that it obviously needs to be clear of trees for the pole boys and fairness in matches.... plus its only been in place a couple of years and the prettier vegetation such as Irises etc is still in the course of getting established.

Definitely one of the better places to fish in the close season while waiting for the real fishing on the rivers to re-start.

Plus a definite goodie for anyone with a disability or accessibility problems.

But I just wish Godalming did day ticket or two for Johnsons lake !