Line colour

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
On various fishing programmes and dvd`s i`ve been watching and also in magazines i have read,i have seen the following....
red line being used for speci carp angling and some general coarse fishing and sea fishing.Yellow mono and braid being used for speci carp fishing as well and pike fishing,both lure and dead baiting.Blue coloured line being used for sea fishing and big carp fishing.I have even seen the most flurescent orange fly line being used in one of rex hunts programmes.
In most tackle shops,you can buy green line,brown line,clear line and i remember using a black coloured mono a few years ago called proteus.It had a very weird feel to it,didn`t feel like mono attall but it knotted well,kept it`s strength and caught me a few carp.
I`ve seen fish caught on all the fancy coloured lines and braids but i cant help but feel it`s all a bit gimicky.
Any thoughts???

catch

Reaction score
I have krystonite flourocarbon coating line on my reels for about 1 year now and it has uped my catch rate. try it

Macca_EFC

Reaction score
if you do any carp fishing or I suppose you could try this out float fishing. Set up two rods with the indentical set up, but colour in one of the lines to blend with the bottom of where you are fishing, and see if either one produces more bites than the other, obvioulsy switch the rods to fish each swim for the same length of time to make it as fair as possible and once the swims have been fed up to get them both going, as I've found swims can take a while to kick into action

W

Wolfman Woody

No line is a perfect colour, or non-colour if you think of fluorocarbons that way. Particularly with hooklink materials.

As Dave Chilton (the Kryston guy) says, on one day one line, Mantis Dark will catch fish. On another it will be a fluorcarbon line. On yet another day it could be Snake Skin.

And nothing's fair Macca because the fish aren't fair. For no reason whatsoever, they could move to the other swim simply because of a 10 second pause in between feeding patterns. Crazy, I know, but we'll never prove it.

The thing is Nick, buy a line you're happy with for it's strength, suppleness, diameter, or colour, but stick with it and see how you find it at the end of the season.

Wendy Perry 2

Reaction score
Me and Gary knowles were talking about this on Sat, we both agreed, who can say what colour of line the fish see? Nobody, only a fish!

Trisantona

Reaction score
Given that fish can see all lines it makes sense to use lines that humans can see easily, before i gave up carp fishing i used very bright red main line with great success,it helps to see where a fish is running to and also lets others know where you are fishing to.(assuming your rod tip is out of the water of course).end rigs were either snakeskin or 20 lb black Amnesia fished doubled up.

W

Wolfman Woody

"fished doubled up."

Crikey, I can hardly touch my toes any more let alone fish doubled up.

Reaction score
Gary...talking! If you were to base the evidence on the report of the day all he was doing was catching most fish, upsetting pub punters, and contributing to carbon emissions.

I did use a camou effect line for a season...wasn't impressed...although more with the quality rather than colour.

How have Ron and Graham set about offsetting the carbon impact of last Saturday? :-0)

Posh