sliding reel seats

stevo1

Reaction score
I have a lovely 13" carbon waggler rod, but the cork butt has these annoying sliding reel seat rings, anyone have any idea to either replace them with a new adjustable seat or a method (other than insulation tape !)of keeping the rings from slipping ?....ta very muchly.

B

Big Rik

What's wrong with tape?
You don't have to bind it all over the reel seat, a couple of runs underneath where your reel normally sits should be enough to bulk up the handle so that it's more snug.

Macca_EFC

Reaction score
is it a preston sentient carbon active power float rod you have? I use a shimano exage with mine and it fits snug as a bug in a rug whatever that means but it's not loose or moving about.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Get an old bicycle inner tune - for tyres of around 1" diameter. Cut two lengths of around 2" each and slide these up and over the reel fittings. You'll still be able to remove your reel but everything should be tighter.

It's not a perfect answer, but it will do. Alternatively, many tackle shops will be able to fit a fuji type reel seat for you - at a cost.

W

Wolfman Woody

How many ring have you got on the butt section and are you any good at whipping?

If you are then you can buy a Fuji DPS reel seat with screw down foam handle. Fitting them is fairly easy, but involves wrecking the present handle and stripping the rings off.

I've done five rods in the past like this. On an old Shimano I even shortened the handle, put a Duplon foam section on the end and weighted it inside to balance it out. I thought it made a much nicer rod in the end and I gave it to a disabled guy that was just starting up.

Other than that - follow Matt's idea with the inner tube. It works.

T

Terry D

I've used Chris Ward several times to fit a nice reel seat to my rods, you can get hold of him through nullhttp://www.rodcraftsman.com/

stevo1

Reaction score
Woody, Thanks for your input, seems a lot of work though & would really like to keep the cork ! I like Matt's idea so far, many thanks for all your replies/help & happy fishing.

Thanks for the link Terry !!