would you go fishing in this?

nicky

Reaction score
Day off work, green light to go fishing but this weather is awful, dont know what its like round your area but we have gale force winds rain, sleet, and hailstones 2.5degrees. Sat here all togged up thinking i would have to be crazy to go in this.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I have, although many, many years ago and in some ways its enjoyable IF you have the right gear, plenty to eat and drink and more importantly you can find little swim with some shelter.
Clothing and the means to keep dry is an absolute must!!

One things for sure- you'll not find many others out and most times all swims are free..

One thing...It tricky conditions its best to go with someone IMHO.

Good luck if you try it though!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Clothing and the means to keep dry is an absolute must!!

I couldn't agree more, in fact I love sitting under a brolly or shelter, in my waterproofs listening to the rain, and enjoying a good cup of tea or coffee.

On my local stretches of the river the results can vary greatly in cool and rainy conditions, but if you aren't out threre trying then you'll never know.

Go for it . . . . . . . .

maceo

Reaction score
No I wouldn't.

I don't bother when it's less than 5 degrees C or winds of more than 20 mph.

Sorry to seem like a faint heart!

sam vimes

Reaction score
I have and probably will again, fish in far worse conditions. However, I'm not bothering at the moment. The local river is running high and full of snow melt. The local stillwaters are likely to yield poor catches unless you get very lucky. Then there's the wind to contend with. I'd probably find somewhere to fish if it wasn't windy. I don't like the cold but I really hate fishing in strong winds.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
My fishing,(lures) by its nature is constantly mobile. As a result the opportunity to sit cosily ensconsed in a bivvy, or under a brolly is not an option. And yes, I have been out in some of the most inhospitable conditions imagineable over the years. But not so much in recent years, Father Time ensured that.
Looking back, you may well ask,''but would you do it all over again''. My answer would be, ''in a heart beat'' were I able.
We northerners are no ''Daisy Boys''. :wh:wh:wh

barbelboi

Reaction score
I never carry an umbrella for river fishing, whether static or mobile. IMO, for heavy rain the Genuine British Army Surplus Patt 58 Poncho takes some beating and packs to a pretty small space.
Jerry
barbelboi-albums-a2-picture3000t-poncho.jpg

rubio

Reaction score
Not actually cold over in suffolk but it's no ill wind that finally gets enough water into my local river gipping to see it flowing and coloured for the first time in months. Those touchy nibbles from chub are proper pull round bites just now. The ones that ought to be unmissable, but I seem to manage too easily at times. I find my confidence is highest with a large and smelly bait and wait it out at least half hour per swim.
Expecting a bite at any second is just as necessary as warm clothing and hot drinks. If I didn't feel my chances were good I'd rather get the pike gear ready. As soon as things settle down I expect to find the roach shoaled up and the big girls will be there to greet them with a wide toothy smile.

soffit

Reaction score
Yesterday I was trotting under a small wooden footbridge with a foot to spare. Today I walked the dog over same bridge: another six inches and the water would be bubbling up through the planking. I normally pop down around dawn at this time of year but a particularly vicious hailstorm caused me to wimp out and just struggle to the newsagents in the car instead.

I go fishing for pleasure; so it seems pointless to experience discomfort and tangles unless there is a bonus to be had. Most things seem to slow down the chillier it gets... fish, atoms, pretty much most things. Glastonbury Festival is not in Febuary.... I rest my case.

dezza

Reaction score

These days I tend to enthuse on what Fred J Taylor once said whilst sitting fishing in the teeth of a blizzard.

"I'll be ****ing glad when I've had enough of this!"

rustyangler

Reaction score
I was fishing yesterday evening in a chocolate brown river with 3 feet of extra water. Had 10 fish in 3 hours, the best being a Chub of 4lb 3oz.

It was too windy to put the brolly so and the wind was blowing my quivertip about so much I could hardly see the bites. The fish were still feeding when I left but it was time for me to feed (any escuse to get home to a warm bath and a glass of brandy).

A

alan whittington

If its safe for me to drive,then i'll be out,they expect me to get to work in the worst of weathers and as the old saying going 'a bad days fishing is better than a good day at work',just shorten the 'day' and fish at the best times.;)

mark knowles

Reaction score
Just spent the last 6 days on holiday in Scottish boarders, Wednesday storm force winds, rain sleet, snow the river rose seven feet in a couple of hours, spent the day in my van watching it and reading a book. 9 oclock Thursday morning little wind the river had dropped back to its original level ten minutes in a 2lb 8oz grayling took a czech nymph.

904_cannon

Reaction score
Durham City, Co Durham ... STILL The Land of The P
I fished the Wye at Monmouth on the weekend of the hurricane in October 87, the river was at least 12ft up and I caught fish.

The last time I used a brolly was on the Annan in the spring of the same year.
I actually feared for my life that night. The brolly turned inside out, river came up over 8ft in what seemed like minutes and my good remaining torch gave out when I was trying to find my way back to the car - in driving snow.

When I awoke the next morning there was a note on my windscreen from the Annan chub master, Fred Sykes, saying he fished on 'till about 5-00am but he had to get home for work that day - as a dentist :eek: I'm sure the good people of Cumbria were very happy with their dental service ?

---------- Post added at 23:06 ---------- Previous post was at 22:58 ----------

We northerners are no ''Daisy Boys''. :wh:wh:wh

South Yorkshire, huh ;)

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I take exception to 'Daisy Boys', but its probably true.....According to most Northerners I know only they have the backbone for almost anything, BUT I know different........Going home when the rain gets a little heavy etc etc and statements such as " you won't mention this in the pub tonight will you-I'll never live it down"....................

Do I hear warm wind blowing.....................

Jamesy

Reaction score
Gave it a go on Sunday, hadn't been for a while as the Missus had the flu. Got truly soaked (took off one saturated jacket, put on another dry one; that got saturated too) battery was flat, Missus was too unsure to drive over, not much charge on the mobile, left my wallet at home, the only guy nearby with jump leads I had to boot off the water because his book was 'in the post' and I blanked.
I hated Angling at that moment.

nicky

Reaction score
Well i wimped out in the end, my wife wants to know what is the matter with me as you cant usually stop me, i too have fished through wind rain and gales, broken the ice just because i had to go fishing.
It has been crazy weather though the last few days round here, coupled with my current lack of motivation, hopefully it will be nicer this weekend.

nicky

Reaction score
I know i must be turning into a fair weather fisherman the shame of it.