Drilling pellets

Wendy Perry 2

Reaction score
Hi guys, Today i have been trying to have a go at drilling some halibut 10mm pellets, i am getting frustrated with it, they keep breaking. Any tips on how to stop them from breakng?

A Frustrated wend

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

Use a black n decker and a small drill bit. Those Dremmal things would be ideal too.

Wendy Perry 2

Reaction score
Nice one Wol, is it best to soak the pellets in something after? I notice you have done :)

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
Wendy,you can buy pellets with the hole already there...just thread onto your hair rig and away you go.Just off the top of my head,i know catfish-pro do some which would be good for species other than catfish.
Alternatively you could split the pellet in two (make the split as clean/straight as you can) and glue the two halves together on the hair.
A friend of mine has done the above many a time and caught plenty of good fish.

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

You can do, i was playing around with something DT baits gave me. Most times the pellet as it comes is fine.

Wendy Perry 2

Reaction score
I've never done this method before Nick, i haven't used glue either, so i wouldn't know what kind of glue.

I've seen the ones already made but fancied having a go at my own. I'm using the korda quick stops with them, but they come already hair rigged to the hook, i just need to put mt hook length on them.

Wendy Perry 2

Reaction score
Thanks Wol, i'll go to B&Q later i think :) The drill i have seems to be too thick for these pellets and that's what the problem is.

T

Terry D

You're trying to drill too much at once. Drill a little bit at a time, say 2mm and then clean the drill bit each time.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

All my breakages go into a pva mesh stocking or swimfeeder, plugged each end with liquidised bread. Nothing gets wasted.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Wendy, a banded pellet works just as well as a drilled pellet, I rarely bother drilling them and I have caught hundreds of fish on banded pellet from barbel to roach. Don't use those useless brown plastic type though, they are a waste of money because they stretch very quickly, these are much better and stretch up to 14mm easily. I have been using super glue instead this last 12 months on river and pools and it certainly is a very easy way to do it, I superglue the pellet to a hair without a loop.

If you must drill them use as little pressure as possible, let the drill do the work but expect some breakages.

Wendy Perry 2

Reaction score
Graham can i ask you, do you just use ordinary superglue or is it a special fishing glue?

Baz i've got loads of broken ones here, cheers for that, ill save em all now :)

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
Wendy,ordinary super glue is fine.Baz made a good point there when saying to keep all your broken pellets for loose feed etc....
Or how about glueing some broken pieces together on a hair in an uneven cluster....something different to try isn`t it and the fish probably aint seen nothing like it.
When i`m drilling pellets,i use one of those drennan boillie/bait drills,available from any tackle shop.I just take my time and withdraw the drill every few turns and blow away any pellet dust/crumb.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Wendy, as Nick says use ordinary superglue, I use Loctite and as long as you knock the base of the bottle on something firm after use and keep the bottle upright in your box or bag, it will be fine. You only need a small amount remember, don't go using loads.