Midges

Shine

Reaction score
I was fishing the other day when the heavens opened. Before it started pelting down there was thousand of midges in front of me. When the the rain stopped they were still there. I thought these things would be killed outright if one drop of rain hit them. Are they tough little buggers or can they dodge the rain, or do many get killed when its raining that hard?

Anyone know the answer?

T

The Monk

Midges are not effected by rain but they are by fire and smoke

Blunderer

Reaction score
Now that is a bloody good question, I think. They do seek shelter under trees when it rains but I can't imagine one surviving a strike either.

So do they dodge the raindrops?

J

John Adair

"So do they dodge the raindrops?"

Could they possibly be shoved out of the way by the air pressure from a falling rain drop?

Chevin

Reaction score
I don't know what will get rid of the little sods. I live on the banks of a lake 6 miles long and 3/4 mile wide and some years they come of that in their millions! There are so many of them you need to cover your nose and mouth if you walk down the street. We don't get much rain at that time of the year but it makes no difference while it is raining and there is even more of them the next day! I know we have very fat frogs in our pond those years, but even though there is a lot of them in the pond, they can't make any inroads into them!

We spray around the out side of the windows some nights and we have to sweep up the kill with a dust pan and brush the next morning!

I

Ian Cloke

THIS might help keep the little buggas at bay.

Look for Mosquito & Insect Repellent

M

MarkTheSpark

John's right. There's a tiny bow-wave of pressure in front of a rain drop that pushes them out of the way. I read that somewhere recently.

You can nail them with a supersoaker, though

Shine

Reaction score
Monk: Midges are not effected by rain but they are by fire and smoke.

Thats why I end up smoking 40 a day when I go fishing monk.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Strap a big frog to your head that'll keep them away