Shimano Biomasters

J

Jon Read

iam thinking of buying either the biomaster or emblem s

are the biomaster reels better than the diawa embllem S ??

S

Steve Clements

Are these the 'new' Biomasters or the older 'Airlex' style ? I can vouch for the former as being exceptionally smooth and in myself and 2 others opinions even nicer to use than the EMX reverse taper thingys.

C

Carp Angler

What do you mean by 'nicer to use' because the comparison as reels is unmatched.
The EMX ABS is 10 years more advanced, smoother, more bearings, better build quality, stronger, need I go on?

S

Steve Clements

'Nicer to use ' means just that. I tried both and the 'feel ' was better , the clutch 'seemed' smoother..I dont care if a reel is made out of titanium or turnip as long as I enjoy its qualities and that is the only parameter I am able to judge a reel by...how long did the Mitchell 300 hold the fort? I made a claim on my (and 2 others) preferences , just an opinion in reply to a question.Add to which; I will agree with you:the comparism is unmatched..I own neither but that is what I would choose if only... are you a happy EMX ABS okee cokee 2000 squillion BB model?

C

Carp Angler

As I've actually used my Emblems in a fishing situation, then I feel qualified to give an opinion.
The clutch is the smoothest I've ever used on a fixed spool reel.
They cast very well and the build quality is truly superb.
I've had a couple of decent fish on them aswell and they did feel good in the hands.

My Biomasters I now use as my uptiding reels, but as they aren't feeling too healthy after a couple of decent fish then they'll probably not last too much longer.

I had some original Aerlex's but sold them and bought some baitrunners (fool) and they were good. Smooth, cast well but the clutch (rear drag) was quite erratic.

I also had some Biomaster Specials, but some little chap thought he had more right to them than I did and knicked them off my pod, with my rods, whilst I was asleep.
That was about 10 years ago and as they cost about ?175 each then, I couldn't afford another set.
I don't think I ever really gave them a thorough testing, but I remember them being a very, very nice reel.

S

Steve Clements

Have to say that I (we) used the bio's and emb's in a fishing situation too...not over the counter in a tackle shop if that is what you were infering!
The bio's had been in use for 3 years and the emb's .first time out; mahseer , Nepal and if that aint a good enough test then what is ? I am not going to be drawn into a tackle test, just ,as I said before , offering an opinion. I suspect the bio's were taken off the market due to dodgy cosmetics and the rampant ' tackle tart ' syndrome , and I make no allusion to yourself here...they were an outstanding reel IMO and 2 years ago , could be bought for ?100.I am not going to pursue this debate with you , I have saved your articles! but I stand by my experiences.
You misinform yourself when you jump to conclusions. Keep up the good work!
Regards Steve

B

Birds Nest

"I also had some Biomaster Specials, but some little chap thought he had more right to them than I did and knicked them off my pod, with my rods, whilst I was asleep."..... Some Brave people about !!!!!

R

Rob Brownfield

And some heavy sleepers!! If a slug crawls past my gear at night I hear it!

C

Carp Angler

I had been up for awhile and was absolutely knackered, and I'd almost packed away, but knew I wouldn't be able to drive home, so I reeled in and just left my rods on the pod and had a kip and was planning on driving home in the morning.

I awoke to find the pod, rods and reels had gone.
Luckily I was insured.