Clipping up

Wendy Perry 2

Reaction score
Ok, i have heard a few of you mentioning clipping up, is this the best way, to keep hitting the same spot?

I am terrible at getting my rod to hit the same spot twice, i wish i knew how to do it, yes i try and concentrate on something but i still mess it up.

But this clipping up, what happens if you get a fish on and it wants to go? is it easy enough to unclip?

Sorry for all the questions, but i need to know these things.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

One method is to use an elastic band on your spool at the distance you want to hit (not too tight though)Then if you get a decent fish on it will still be able to take line......
Cast out to the distance you want ,then use an elastic band -- on smaller spool reels a narrow piece of cycle innertube will work

pcpaulh

Reaction score
Could just clip up when you reel inand cast out and have it off the clip in between? That way you play the fish as normal should you get one or if you don't clip up, reel in and re cast.

Wendy Perry 2

Reaction score
Ed i've heard someone else mention about an elstic band, but never tried it. I think i will go fishing for a couple of hours after work tomorrow and give it a go.

Christian, good idea i may try that. Is this what everyone else does?

pcpaulh

Reaction score
I'm not sure but I guess so or if the fish tried to take line it would snap leaving it alot...

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Wendy,

When you cast to the clip you should be able to get a few turns of the reel to get some slack line on the spool to give you a little time to react and unclip if the fish bolts off.If you have a fair length of line out there is often a fair bit of built in stretch as well.

If you do unclip you need to be able to reclip at the same distance.I use a pole elastic stop knot whcih does not impeed casting.

I couldn't really get my head round it last year and I lost a couple of fish that snapped me.Give it a try out and I am sure it will make sense.

W

Wolfman Woody

"Which is the best way to Carnegie Hall?"

"Practice, man. Practice!"

Same with casting. You can tie a piece of power gum on your line once you've found the mark you want to hit. Note that the power gum should just before the butt ring. When you cast watch for the power gum and when it comes off the spool stop the cast with your finger. Wind back until the power gum is in the same place, before the butt ring.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Blue or yellow pole elastic is my choice too Nigel, just remember to unclip after the cast!

Ooops!

And clip up if you don't get a bite before reeling in!

john blundell

Reaction score
Insulation tape is good BUT, i've found that the tape goes into the water when you hook a good fish, and i have on occasion, had the water get under the tape and have it slide on the line. Me not knowing this, over casts, winds back to the tape, clips up and then casts out, only to find it at a totally different distance!!!

Thats only happened twice though and for that odd occasion that only takes another couple of casts to sort, it's still the easiest way of doing it! Faster than tying knots around the line etc in my opinion.

john

T

Terry D

I only ever unclip if after carp well over 10lbs. Should a big one take off, then hold the rod vertically and as high as possible, standing if you have to. The stretch in the line and bend in the rod will turn the fish. I was shown this method by Simon Gould and he does know a bit about match carp fishing at place like Gold which does have quite a few fish in the twenties. As said above, practice it.

Wendy Perry 2

Reaction score
Cheers guys for tips, i am going to go after work today to a local lodge and have a practise with it. It's something i have always wanted to do but too scared to try, incase i got a big fish on.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
The best method I know of, and use, is to double a pellet band round the line and put this over the line stop on the reel. This gives you two advantages, one, it is simple to flip the band off the clip or two, if you havn't got the time because a big fish is on it will do one of two things, either break or it will pull off the clip itself which is what normally happens.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Graham, is spot on and he passed this tip to me from memory.It has the added advantage of not damaging the line as some clips can be a bit harsh.Nothing like cracking off at the clip with a big method feeder heading for the other bank.Oops!

I use one of these, coupled with a pole elastic marker and do not now unclip.

Wendy Perry 2

Reaction score
Can someone do me a diagram of what you mean?, i can see myself losing fish through my line snaping. Sorry i know i sound a bit dumb, and it is probably easy when you know how.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Yes, definately practice, practice.

I favour clipping up (using the method described by Graham) but when I'm fishing well my casting is pretty good so I unclip. However I all too often favour the multi swim approach as I scatter bait all over the place!

Wendy, at distance there is good deal of stretch in mono. If a fish decides to go the "wrong way", try not to panic. You should have plenty of time to unclip.

Terry, interesting that about Simon Gould. He showed me the opposite and recommended keeping the rod low and to the side! When I first started to fish at GV a few years ago he sat behind me, frustrated he grabbed the rod and showed me what accurate casting looks like (without clip!).

nicky

Reaction score
Hi Wendy

I've thought of a different way of doing it recently, and mentioned it on a recent thread, but now i have had chance to try it out properly i can recommend it, and think it is better than the other methods i have tried.

1.Cast to your spot

2.Instead of clipping up using the line clip, secure the line to the side of the spool in the same sort of place as the normal line clip would be using a sellotape double sided sticky pad Look here to see what i mean http://images.ryman.co.uk/images/medium/0416070101.jpg
I leave the grease proof paper on the one side.

3. mark the line with a piece of black insulation tape just in front of your reel so that you can refind the distance if you need to.

Job done sorted, if you get a good fish you can easily pull the line from under the foam pad or if you are using fairly strong line it will pull out during the fight, you can easilly re-find the distance using the piece of insulation.

You could use pole elastic but if you have a small tip ring on your quiver tip this may cause the knot to get stuck

This really does work and the line will not budge during the cast.

They aren't expensive either ?2.40 for 140 will last you ages.

On my reel there is enough of a gap between the bail arm and the spool so as not to get snagged of the foam pad.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Nicky,

Is the foam pad strong enough to stop your rig in mid air when the distance is reached as does a line clip?

If so it looks good.

Beecy

Reaction score
yes, I like the sound of that one too.

I need to check if my reel has enough clearance between spool and rotor for it

Nigel, if your casting right then you should not hit the clip with much force anyway. I like to feather the line so I am almost stopping it myself just as it reaches the clip or preferably a yard or two before. also if you have the rod to the side or vertical as it hits, the rod cusions it hitting the clip

while we are on the subject(ish), have you tried the Abu out yet Nigel ?, im addicted to mine and have fished almost nothing but feeder for months

T

trev matthews

The best method I know of, and use, is to double a pellet band round the line and put this over the line stop on the reel.

Graham I use the same method and when I suggested it on a carp thread a few months ago I got loads of grief from others on site. Im glad im not the only one who uses pellet bands.

power to the pellet band