shotting pole float

stikflote

Reaction score
HI all, ive bought some Drennan pole floats,
can some one help me to shot them,for instant one float marked 4x14 ,i bought some styls ut it would take about fifty size 14 to shot it ,they are very tiny,at the moment its got one nuber six shot and three number 8,s, i thougt by buying the styls it would be easy ,help please

Macca_EFC

Reaction score
Pole floats are a pain to shot I think, I always seem to add or take shot off from one session to the next, just add as small a shot as you can one at a time to get it right, irritating I know but I've yet to find a float which sits right at the weight stated on it, wagglers are easier though as they require bigger shot and just a little tweaking much less fiddly I find.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
4 X 14 styls is the equivalent to 3 nunber six shot but do yourself a favour if you are going to shot up your own pole floats buy yourself a dosopiombo, a device for shotting pole floats at home in a bucket of water. Also forget about styls they are a pain in the a@@e, they tangle very easily for one, use ordinary lead shot in the No. 8 to No. 12 range its much simpler. Have a look here for weight eqivalents.

Lark

Reaction score
Everything that Graham has said.... Plus.

Buy yourself a cheap, glass spaghetti jar.
Brilliant when using a Dosopiombo.
Just remember to undershot slightly. The floats will perform slightly differently when they go into the river/lake.
It's easier to add weight than take it away when using finer shot.

stikflote

Reaction score
Graham
thanks for reply ,but the number 14 styls i have look to be smaller than a number 13 dust shot,so cant see how they are equivalent to 3 nuber six shot ,unless thers a different size 14 ,s ,i use my water butt for shotting up, but thought i would try to dot them right down with styls

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Here are standard shot and Styl weight sizes; I can't understand why the Styl weights you have are so small?

Shot/Stotz Size
8 0.063
9 0.049
10 0.034
11 0.26
12 0.020
13 0.012

Styl (illegal in 20 to 14)
20 ? for reference 0.258
18 ? for reference 0.170
16 ? for reference 0.130
14 ? for reference 0.084
12 0.052
11 0.040
10 0.031
9 0.022
8 0.015
7 0.010

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
"forget about styls they are a pain in the a@@e, they tangle very easily "

Good to know it isn't just me!
I read that some anglers were cutting styls in half to reduce this, which may be how Stotz were born; if you've invested in lots of styls this may be worth considering!

C

Colin North, the one and only

Just add a small amount of washing up liquid to the spag jar, it breaks the surface tension of the water, so you can accurately shot your floats at home, instead of having to do at at the waterside.

Don't forget that your bait, whatever it may be, may also affect the way the float behaves at the waterside, since you are unlikely to use a baited hook when setting the things up at home.

stikflote

Reaction score
Mark, they really are very tiny ,the tub of styls ive got start in size at 10/5 gr=0,035 thru to 14 gr=0,004, they are so tiny im unable to use them, so are you saying there is another size 14 styl, ive just been rooting in shed and have found another set of styls the biggest is a size 12 gr =0,064 these are the only sizes in my local tackle shop.
SO who decides the shotting on these Drennan tuff pole floats,please keep the replys coming ,because im mystifyed now

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Keith,

It seems the weights I quoted from an old reference table are wrong;

12 0.064
11 0.048
10 0.036
9 0.025
8 0.017
7 0.010

These are from a green and yellow dispenser with STYL BOITE on it.

are the weights you have like tiny split shot or the tiny cylindrical weights?

It's just that Styl is a trade name rather than type of weight, and it's possible that you are quoting a type of tiny split shot - I've seen them down to size 15.

The normal weights that we know as Styl - 4 x 14 would be about 0.35 grams so work from this in split shot as about 5 x no 8 plus a couple of tiny shot droppers.

stikflote

Reaction score
same dispenser with STYL BOITE EXCEPT CONTAINER IS RED AND YELLOW yes cylinder shape like stotz,.

Why cant they weight these floats in normal shot, it can be done as in FOX ,MARK POLLARD POLE FLOATS if it says 4 number 8 then it is 4 number 8,s in normal split shot

B

Bob "chubber"Lancaster (ACA)

buy a dosopiombo its quick and easy ,but i always overshot when making mine up as fiddling on the bank to put a number 12 shot on is worse than taking one off. But its a great way of doing it saves a lot of time and you dont need to follow the floats shot description

stikflote

Reaction score
hi Bob
i cant put number 12 shot on at all i struggled with size 10 till i bought the AUTO shotter from Dinsmore

PAUL DOLING

Reaction score
hi just my quick input i use number 8 or 10 shot then fine tune with preston stots fantastic little shot there a hybrid between shot and styls