weighing scales

David Naylor 3

Reaction score
Can anyone recomend a good set of scales please?

I'm on a tight budget and don't really want to spend more than ?20 if i can help it.

D

David Hind

Have a look on ebay - you can get them within your budget.

David Naylor 3

Reaction score
I'm actually after recomendations on certain makes. I have a pair at the minute but i'm not confident in their accuracy.
I don't want to buy another set that is a load of crap.

W

Wolfman Woody

To check your scales:

Wrap up a housebrick or two in brown paper and string. Weight it on your scales in grams and note the weight on the parcel.

Now take the parcel to your PO and tell them you want to send it first class. They'll ask you to put it on their scales and then you'll see the weight.

Compare their weight with the one you recorded earlier on the package. When they tell you how much is costs to send it first class tell them "Stuff that, it's too expensive."

Return home.

David Craine

Reaction score
You could put a 2kg bag of sugar in a plastic bag and weigh it on your scales, that should show how accurate they are, 2 bags for double the weight etc.
:>)

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
David,
If you contact your local council they will put you in touch with your nearest weights and measures council.

This realy is the only way of finding out if your scales are weighing over or under.

And if anyone should be lucky enough to catch a record fish, you will have to do this as the certificate is required for any record claims.

Some councils may charge a small fee but its worth it, most will do it for nothing.

Ray

J

John H Member of THE C.S.G.. & The A.T.

I used to service P.O. and other postal weigh scales and believe me they are not the most accurate. OK when first calibrated but very quickly go out, especially at the bottom end (wouldn't trust them to weigh a record gudgeon)
The Weights and Measures would be best.

I used to have a set of calibration weights but they were a sod to carry about in my rucksack. :)
Even worse when lugging them, toolbox and laptop to the top floor of a city centre office.(that was sometimes after walking half a mile from a parking meter)
Soooo pleased I'm now retired.