Plumbing for weed

john blundell

Reaction score
I'm decent enough with the old markr rod. I can identify clay, sand, silt, weed patchs, gravel etc etc etc.

My problem is once i find weed, how do i accurately find the depth of the weed. And how do i find the kind of weed. I could retrieve and see whats on the lead, but ihow do i know it's not another kind of weed picked up between me, and the spot i'm trying to find out about. Any other ways??

More so the depth of the weed though, that would be very helpful when popping up catfish baits for me.

John

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

The only thing I can suggest is to use a lead with arms on it. A bit like a sputnik. Hopefully it might cut off pieces of weed when you reel it in.
Failing that, look on the windward side of the lake for any loose pieces of weed that ducks may have uprooted.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

I think you mean breakaway leads used in sea fishing dont you Baz ?

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Similar to them Ed. But with shorter arms that won't break away. I thought of doing it last year by drilling a lead and soldering short arms onto it.

john blundell

Reaction score
i know which leads you mean. I do use them. Feature finding leads. It's not really an option though as the weed doesn't sit vertically in the water, soi can't measure it. Plus i'm looking at 80+ yeards, so in that distance on the retrieve i could pick up other weed easily. Also, the lake has different kinds of weed, and not everywhere, so it's not consistent to measure it in one area and expect it to be the same in another place.

Help!

John

keora

Reaction score
How about using a large heavy spoon? Cast it out let it sink to the lake bed. Reel it in quickly so that it planes up to the surface. Then examine traces of weed on the treble. Only drawback is that I doubt that a spoon can be cast 80 yds.

Does the type of weed make that much difference? In my experience, the most common sub surface water weeds are elodea, milfoil and hornwort.

T

The Monk

John, go and jump in the lake, seriously, I used to do it a lot, its amazing what you find down there

john blundell

Reaction score
i can't jump in the lake as i'm fishing i'm trying to find out what depth the weed is around an island i can't get to.

Dragging the weed in and measuring it tells me nothing as it doesn't sit in the water vertically like a tree, but rather lies along the lake bed building up in layers.

These are all valid idea's, but none yet will work in my situation!

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

If you took a rowing boat out to the island tomorrow to measure the weed, you would only have to do it again in a week or two's time.

Just plumb around for the clearest spot, or use a feature finder to find clear areas. If you haven't got one try and borrow one. But tdon't forget, it will need doing regularly as weed moves.

T

The Monk

I can remember fishing one of the southern pits once and the weed used to grow beond the height of the surface, in certain wind conditions you would have to cast through the weed to get to the gravel barts, on other conditions the bars would be visible

Rickey Sutton

Reaction score
hi john the way i do it is to get a very bouyant weed marker float send it out into your swim find the depth of the water then with the float cocked on the top draw the line back a foot at a time by hand eventually you will feel the top of the weed then subtract that distance from water depth thatll give you approximate depth of weed hope that helps

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

Personally i'm with Monk....the only way to tell how deep the weed is acuratlly is to go see!!.....i have also done this in the past, both in person and by boat.

With a feature seaking rod we are estimating at best and miles out at worst!

john blundell

Reaction score
in an ideal world yes, definately the best way is to row out or walk out. But in this case it's no possible.

I'm looking for a way to do it by rod. If it's not really possible then fair enoug, but i'm seeing if people know of a way to find out.

Cheers, John.

john blundell

Reaction score
looks like i'm buggered hehe!

It's not actually the end of the world as i can fish the edge of the weed with no problems. I'd just like to pop up a deadbait so that it was perched on top of the weed.

One of them trial and error things innit! Thanks for all the help anyway. Appreciate it.

John,

keora

Reaction score
Set up this rig on a heavy rod:

Slinding stop knot
Large cigar shaped float taking at least 2 ozs of lead
Link swivel
Instead of a trace and trebles, attach to the swivel a couple of arlesey bombs totalling 1.5 oz and a large treble

Set the stop knot at say 5ft, cast out, retrieve, inspect hook for weed. If no weed evident, increase depth and repeat until you locate weed.