Hello Folks!!!

theoriginalpikeflyco

Reaction score
Just want to intoduce myself...

Im a fanatical flyfisherman & flytyer...especially for good old esox but have recently felt myself yearning to dabble in a little float fishing on rivers & lakes.

I have some really fond memories of float fishing for Rudd, Roach & Perch as a kid, and as my 2 little fellas are just reaching the ages (6 & 4) to try some fishing & I can think of nothing better than starting with some float fishing together.

So here I am...ready to pick the brains of what appears to be a vast assortment of extremely knowledgeable coarse anglers.

In fact, I am just about to post my first question on the forum, so maybe you could have a look & see if you can help me.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
welcome to FM

introducing young un to fishing - well take them somewhere they will catch - like a well stcoked commercial in summer - nothing will kill an life time of angling like sitting in the cold blanking

theoriginalpikeflyco

Reaction score
welcome to FM

introducing young un to fishing - well take them somewhere they will catch - like a well stcoked commercial in summer - nothing will kill an life time of angling like sitting in the cold blanking

Ah yes...good point & should have mentioned...we had a trip to the local kids trout pond. The boys really werent to keen on the whole every fish caught must be killed scenario, and the ponds are stuffed so full that you have to pack up within a few minutes unless you want to spend a complete fortune. So I am thinking an introduction to some small quiet local farm lakes with good stocks of Roach, Rudd & Perch (& an ambundance of wildlife) would be a nice way to spend some time...and free!

And they are already getting 'hardened' after a few multi day autumn camping adventures in the 'lower' mountains this year.

Can I just say its great to be getting responses so quickly. I have a plea for advice in the coarse section maybe anybody reading this could have a glance at it for me.

Cheers!!!

Last edited:

theoriginalpikeflyco

Reaction score
Ah yes...good point & should have mentioned...we had a trip to the local kids trout pond. The boys really werent to keen on the whole every fish caught must be killed scenario, and the ponds are stuffed so full that you have to pack up within a few minutes unless you want to spend a complete fortune. So I am thinking an introduction to some small quiet local farm lakes with good stocks of Roach, Rudd & Perch (& an ambundance of wildlife) would be a nice way to spend some time...and free!

And they are already getting 'hardened' after a few multi day autumn camping adventures in the 'lower' mountains this year.

Can I just say its great to be getting responses so quickly. I have a plea for advice in the coarse section maybe anybody reading this could have a glance at it for me.

Just thought I should add to this... we do not have any decent commercial coarse fisheries nearby but plenty of farm lakes ranging from 5 - 35 acres that all hold good stocks of Rudd, Roach & Perch...even a surprising number of 3 - 4 lb Perch due to huge fry populations, and plenty of Roach in the 2 -3 lb range...and some vast shoals of Hybrids. Unfortunately however, good old Esox has taken a beating over the years so I wonder if there is enough predators left to thin out stocks allowing such big fish to continue??? Always hopeful!

Thanks for all your replies folks!!!