Thank god I dont live in Cyprus!

laguna

Reaction score
Looking at the kind of fishing to be had in Cyprus...

Rivers?
Most of the 35 streams are small and impermanent. Melting snow supplies water to a number of these until late April. Others are merely winter torrents which go dry during the summer.
No river or stream fishing! :eek:

What about lakes?
From what I can make out, there are two salt lakes... Great! :D

Whoooo... Not so fast! :eek:mg:

Larnaca Salt Lake. Surface area 1,585 ha Average depth 1 m situated to the west of the town of Larnaca. It is a complex network of four salt lakes (3 of them interconnected) of different sizes. The largest is lake Aliki followed by lake Orphani, lake Soros and lake Spiro. They form the second largest salt lake in Cyprus after the Limassol Salt Lake. The total surface area of the lakes adds up to 2.2 km² and being just off the road leading to Larnaca International Airport is one of the most distinctive landmarks of the area. It is considered one of the most important wetlands of Cyprus and it has been declared a Ramsar site, Natura 2000 site, Special Protected Area under the Barcelona Convention.
20,000- 38,000 flamingoes feed on brine shrimp in winter
During the winter months the lake fills with water whilst in the summer the water evaporates, leaving a crust of salt and a haze of grey dust.
the lakes are close to the coast and lie below sea level. The seawater naturally permeates the bedrock, collects in the lower basins on the coastal plain and, during the hot seasons, the water that has formed a lake throughout the winter evaporates at a faster rate than the permeation of the seawater, leaving the lake beds dry with a salt crust up to 10cm thick.

Limassol Salt Lake (also known as Akrotiri salt lake) is the largest inland body of water on the island of Cyprus.
It lies due south-east of the sprawling city of Limassol and measures 10.65 km². Its lowest point is 2.7 meters below sea level and at its deepest point the water depth measures about one meter. Geologists hypothesize the lake was formed over the gradual joining of an offshore islet off the southern coast of Cyprus.
The lake itself is considered to be one of the eastern Mediterranean region’s most important wetlands. The fact that the water level over 50 percent of the lake is less than 30 centimetres deep attracts thousands of wading birds to use it as a stopover during the migration seasons between Africa and Europe. Birdlife International estimates that between 2,000 and 20,000 Greater Flamingos (Phoenicopterus roseus) spend the winter months on the lake.

Special scientific interest? protected area? salt crust? = no fishing and no fish either by the sounds of it -unless you fish illegally for brine shrimp!

Dams and reservoirs then... surely?
Comon, show me the fish?

Cyprus has over 20 reservoirs open to anglers and most are stocked. These stocked reservoirs contain more than 15 species of freshwater fish, including trout, largemouth bass, carp, pikeperch, (I think they mean zander) and roach.

That more like it! now we're getting somewhere :w

Whoooo... Not so fast! :eek:mg:

Now what??? :( :confused:

I know they have severe water shortages on the island but these dams are sometimes drained entirely by the water authorities in secret letting all the fish die :(
DISCUSSION - COMMENTS

Seems were not the only ones having to contend with eastern Europeans either!

Anyone been there lately?

barbelboi

Reaction score
It certainly is a shame. Used to go to Cyprus most years from 1978 until it joined the Euro. As previously said, the fishing could be good and the Yermasogia Dam, near Limmasol, was also my favorite. Small village streets running up the sides of the hills, orange farms in the valley below – you wouldn’t realise that the city is just a few minutes behind you. I remember when the desalination of seawater plants were introduced in the late 90's, it now seems they can't keep up with demand although I believe they are now looking up to desalination as the permanent solution of this problem.
Jerry

sam vimes

Reaction score
I last fished the dams in Cyprus just over ten years ago. At that time the problems were already apparent. It certainly wasn't what it was about ten years previous to that when a mate of mine broke the then world match record.

Me and my fishing companion still managed a couple of hundred pounds of carp (from polmidia iirc) between us. The snag was that we were politely offered money for every fish we caught by Eastern Europeans (mostly Russians back then). When it became obvious to them that we weren't going to sell, they got abusive. It got so bad that it ended with one bloke trying to nick a fish as it was being landed. At that point we decided enough was enough and left.

They were doing exactly what's reported of EEs in the UK, right down to the disposable barbecues. The happy bonus for them is that the weather is more conducive to such things. It doesn't surprise me one jot that the fishing in Cyprus is now rubbish, regardless of any water shortages.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I was just wondering, not particularly seriously, if Fishing Magic Members might consider staging a Site Mass Suicide, what with everything everywhere now seeming to have gone to the woofers...

sam vimes

Reaction score
I was just wondering, not particularly seriously, if Fishing Magic Members might consider staging a Site Mass Suicide, what with everything everywhere now seeming to have gone to the woofers...

Good Lord, no. I just didn't volunteer for a posting to Cyprus. Twenty years ago I'd have given my left arm for it. Times change.

laguna

Reaction score
From what we can make out there are 3-4000 fishermen? out of a population of 1.1m give or take (plus the many more vodka drinking illegals) and they have more or less about 20 tackle shops to serve their needs.
Edit: Tourism and visitor numbers will also add to these figures

I suspect the vast majority will be sea anglers judging by all the reports,and I'm not knocking that - apparently it offers some of the best fishing to be had in the med!

Desalination would/could be the only permanent solution to the problem of water shortages in Cyprus, but at what expense to the environment? I dont know enough about such technologies to comment but from what i've gleaned suggests that the salt (as a bi product) has some commercial value? currently they import it despite the abundance to be found in the salt lakes!

Last edited:

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
cant't see anyone wanting to fish for brine shrimp, you would need about 3,000 of them to fill a teaspoon!!!!!

my tropical fish love em!

Mark

barbelboi

Reaction score
From what we can make out there are 3-4000 fishermen? out of a population of 1.1m give or take (plus the many more vodka drinking illegals) and they have more or less about 20 tackle shops to serve their needs.
Edit: Tourism and visitor numbers will also add to these figures

I suspect the vast majority will be sea anglers judging by all the reports,and I'm not knocking that - apparently it offers some of the best fishing to be had in the med!

Desalination would/could be the only permanent solution to the problem of water shortages in Cyprus, but at what expense to the environment? I dont know enough about such technologies to comment but from what i've gleaned suggests that the salt (as a bi product) has some commercial value? currently they import it despite the abundance to be found in the salt lakes!

The sea fishing certainly used to be good. As I've mentioned in previous threads I believe the mullet fishing takes some beating especially off the rocky coastline at Cape Greco. Also trolling for barracuda, tuna and swordfish, among others.
Jerry
PS The tuna fishing was many years ago.

laguna

Reaction score
The sea fishing certainly used to be good. As I've mentioned in previous threads I believe the mullet fishing takes some beating especially off the rocky coastline at Cape Greco. Also trolling for barracuda, tuna and swordfish, among others. Jerry PS The tuna fishing was many years ago.

UPDATE: Just learned that the tuna fishing is still very good!!! :w

I do have a mate who lives in Cyprus (was married to my cus some years ago - now probably wanted by interpol knowing him?) but I dont have his contact details. Not that he would divulge any info mind even if I could find him, knowing him he would likely be the type to buy/steal your catches being as he his of Hungarian decent! :wh

Also just learned... my Mother and Sister have been holidaying in Cyprus for the past 3 years :eek:mg: we're a close family eh? :D