Guardian newspaper to run 8-page angling pull-out

E

Evan

Well you've really helped our cause no end haven't you.

Something positive about our sport for once and you piss them off.... not v. bright perhaps ?

(especially for someone with a media / PR background....)

davestocker

Reaction score
I'm all in favour of it, Evan, delighted even, and I hope it puts a positive spin on our sport. I'm a Guardian reader, but I wonder how many folk who read the post will go out and buy it. I will and may report back........................

Dave German

Reaction score
If it is positive it will be a bit of a turning point, as they are notoriously "trendy". Evan, anything positive about our sport is good but often these people have a hidden agenda

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Well, they can count one extra copy as sold...unless one of their more fiendish setters is responsible for the crossword. Should be interesting to see how it's slanted.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Clearly having got wind of the Keith Culley Memorial Match, they have decided on printing a special commemorative editon knowing how popular the paper is amongst anglers and FMers in particular.

H

Huw

I shall certainly get a copy. I do hope it's an unbiased report, as so many of these articles start off well, then turn to the "how would you like a hook stuck in your lip" topic. Looking forward to reading it. I'm a Mail reader really (sorry).

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
The slant is positive; a bit heavily fly and sea oriented, but I guess that's what first timers on holiday are likeliest to try.
And the crossword is by Araucaria. Soft pencils and rubbers...check...now, where did I leave my thinking cap?

E

Evan

willing to help with 2 down but not as far as spending that much to buy the Guardian.....

So what is the clue and how many letters and what if any letters have you established crossing it...... ?

Or has someone else already solved it for you.....

keora

Reaction score
I thought the Guardian supplement on fishing was interesting. As a Guardian reader (I confess I eat muesli but at least I don't wear sandals) I was surprised that they published it. The veggies and the social workers will probably cancel their subscriptions.

davestocker

Reaction score
Slanted away from coarse fishing, I agree, but in my view it's excellent PR for the sport aimed at what is perhaps a less-than- sympathetic audience. And Fishing Magic gets a plug, too!!! Well done the Grauniad.

H

Huw

Didn't expect coarse fishing to have much of a showing, one shouldn't mingle too much with the great un-washed. It was an interesting read though.

tesco value

Reaction score
I'm a Guardian reader and i was suprised/interested to see what type of slant the paper would take on the issue.

I think it was a very positive bit of PR. A broadsheet publishing such a supplement, combined with programmes such as the accidental angler on the BBC suggest a new thinking around angling as a whole.

With people such as Hugh Fernley WS, Gorden ramsey etc talking about ethical meat, and the public's interest in ethical produce it all ties in nicely.

A lot of my friends and work aquaintances in london enjoy actually going out and catching fish to eat or at least thidea of it!
from a coarse fishing perspective the time in the countryside away from the city is seen as an attractive idea too.

To conclude I think we are moving into an era where the media as a whole is interested in the sport again...