Sage - are these the finest fly rods

• Thread starter Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)
  • Start date
R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

My love affair with Sage fly rods goes back to 1988 when I had two rods built up for myself on Sage blanks by the late Rod Cross - South African master rod builder.

These rods caught everything from big rainbows to tigerfish and catfish. They were both 9 1/2 feet long; the lightest was rated for 6 weight lines and the heaviest for 9 weight lines. Using these rods I was able to chuck measured distances up to 45 metres with shooting heads.

I was sick for weeks when they were stolen in 2000.

Since then I have used several makes of fly rods by Greys and Harrison. The Harrisons are quite brilliant and more affordable than Sage.

I have just acquired another Sage rod. It's a 6 weight XP 9 1/2 foot in 4 pieces.

Now I know how the Americans rate rods so I had no compunction in using it with a 7 weight line. And my goodness how this rod casts. I used it first time at Press Manor and was really impressed. I have since used it at my local ressie - and by crikey what a revelation; two false casts and the whole of a 30 yards forward taper goes sizzling through the rings with such velocity that it made the reel spin when it came to a stop!

So there it is folks; expensive they may be and built mainly for good casters, but for me, yes probably they are the best

S

Sean Meeghan

Hmm... not sure about this Ron! I use an Airflo Classic II which cost me about ?60 for reservoirs and a 8ft 6in DAm rod I bought off Garry Evans for ?25 for rivers. I've tried more expensive rods owned by tackle tart mates, but I really cant tell the difference.

Action is largly a matter of preference and apparent weight is mainly governed by the weight and position of the reel.

Feel when playing a fish is greatly influenced by the line/leader combination.

I'd say that any reasonable quality medium priced rod is more than adequate for most people and 90% wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a medium priced rod and an expensive one in a blind test.

My own view is that ?80 to ?100 will buy you a rod that will delight you!

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

"90% wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a medium priced rod and an expensive one in a blind test."

Very true Sean, but that 10% of top casters can.

It's not just a matter of weight, although that is important, it's about dampening in the action of the rod. The best rods have superb dampening properties which simply means that they don't wobble or vibrate during the foward and back snaps of the cast, a fault that can put waves into the line, cutting down on the energy being imparted to the line.

As regards the position of the reel, well a single handed fly rod casts better without a reel attached to the rod.

Sage, as well as other top makes have an undefinable quality which makes you feel fully in charge of the line in the air.

And they are the lightest rods for their lengths I have ever handled. My 9 1/2 footer weighs in at just under 3 1/2 oz.

S

Sean Meeghan

Yes you're right Ron. A really good carbon can do wonders in the right hands. But its like giving Ed a really good wine. You really need to be a connoisuer to appreciate the best.

W

Wolfman Woody

I see. The rod that the Bone Collector gave not good enough now eh? It's been eclipsed by a newer more expensive toy.

On the serious side, of course if it's one of the top rods costing a mint and then some from a company that's been around for years, its got to be good. As Sean says though, for 90% of anglers it wouldn't matter a damn andthey'd be very happy with one sub-?100.

What gets me is that, Ferrari and Lambourgini, Aston Martin, Jaguar and Porsche make some of world's finest cars that handle like dreams, but only 10% of real driver would appreciate them. The rest are happy pootling around in old Citro?n Saxos.

Same as Ron! Give me a point?

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Jeff, in my life I have driven an Aston Martin and a Porsche. They were pluddy useless. No room for my rods at all!

I can assure you Jeff that both Harrison and Sage are very close when it comes to quality. However I was able to obtain a nearly new Sage at much less than half the price the other day and I jumped at it.

Giving Ed a really good wine would be like casting pearls before swine.......

Hey that rhymes, I'm a poet and I don't know it!!

:eek:)

S

Sean Meeghan

Just a caveat. A friend of mine went to Canada and bought a beautifull 4 piece 5 wt Sage. "Would you like a reel to go with that sir?". "Oh go on then."

On returning to blighty he's showing his new outfit out in the tackle shop when someone says hang on a sec, rummages in a pile of rell boxes and comes up with an identical Shimano reel!

Beware of badge engineering!!!

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

I know all about that Sean.

I have Pfleuger Trion fly reel which sells for ?57 and is badged by another two famous companies which shall be nameless and sells for well over ?100!

S

Shrek

Sage don't do that with their rods though, even though they now own Redington, hence why the Redington CPS rod is very similar in action to the Sage XP.

With regard to Sage rods though, the first time I cast an XP rod it was one of those times when something magical happened. I used to use a Greyflex M2 and thought this was a good rod until I'd cast an XP. For me, and I think you'll find for lots of other fly fishers, there is a heck of a lot of difference between cheap rods and expensive rods.

"90% wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a medium priced rod and an expensive one in a blind test."

Have to disagree there. I'm a less than average caster and I reckon I'd be able to tell the difference. Perhaps we could set up a "test" at the next fly fish in, that might be happening later on in the year.

G

Graham Marsden (ACA)

The nearest rod to Sage in casting terms (and most everything else) is a Greys XD. I've had both and used both on the same day many times. But I still prefer Sage as it has that indefinable 'edge' to it that sets it apart from any other rods, and there are not many I haven't used at some time or other.

But as some have already said, the stiff action of a Sage may not suit all casters.

S

Shrek

But Sage do various models of rods with various actions to them as well.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Sage indeed do a variety of actions.

But if you want to slow the action of any rod down, go up a number regarding the line on it. If you are only casting very short distances, you would be wise to go up two numbers.

Virtually all American rods are rated for the one line size eg: #6. A lot of British rods are rated 6/7 or 7/8. My #6 Sage throws a #7 forward taper an incredible distance.

By the way Graham, I too rate the Greys XD very highly as well as any of the Harrison stuff.

Yet I would rate my Sage XP 9 1/2 footer as perhaps the finest all round still water fly rod I have ever used.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Ron what does 'pluddy' mean ??

Is it a South African term ,or a technical term ???

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

No Ed, "Blerry" is the SA polite word for sanguinary.

Pluddy is my term.

shootinfishin

Reaction score
I use Orvis rods, 25 year guarantee against breakage of ANY cause, can't beat them!

That said I have a Scierra on order, why do I need 6 fly rods? No idea!

A

AL.

I love sage rods, can't afford them though !! For a laugh i tried out a winston the other day. I always thought that i'd only part with ?500 for a sage but now i'm not so sure.

shootinfishin

Reaction score
I remebered why I need 6 fly rods! So far this season I've snapped two (Orvis and Scierra) and given away one (Silver Creek)! So I currently have 2 fly rods 9' and 9'6" with my Orvis heading to the states for repair!! Crap!

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

"No Ed, "Blerry" is the SA polite word for sanguinary.

Pluddy is my term."

Your term for what??

B

Bigun

I treated myself last year while on holiday in Alnwick. I popped into house of Hardy & bought a 9ft 6# Hardy origin rod which casts like a dream, its the best rod I've ever cast or owned