Parting stuck together pole sections

Peter Bishop

Reaction score
It was bloody wet here on Wednesday and the number three and four sections of my margin pole welded themselves together.
Have allowed them to dry and even lubricated the joint with WD40 to no avail.
Anybody got any good tips to prise them apart? They are wedged solid.

D

Derek Emerson

Why not try the very gentle application of a hair dryer Peter....not a bloody great 1200 watt one..............try a 10 second burst on the external section,hopefully it will expand enough for you to free it. If not, perhaps you should have lubricated your sections with bees wax, as I've seen recommended.

T

Terry D

The best way of all is for two people to pull on each end, not twisting. At the same time you should be in the centre where the joint is. Form a circle with your thumb and forefinger around the joint. Then at the same time that the people on both ends pull. you need to rotate your hand in small circles say 3-6ins across. This circular movement of the joint and the pulling apart from the ends should free the stuck sections. I've seen it work so many times.

S

Shrek

Woody did an excellent article on separating pole sections. Try a search in the archives somewhere, unless someone else has the link to hand.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Spot on Terry, that tried and trusted method is the best in my opinion.

Never ever try to twist pole sections apart it will end in disaster nearly every time, they aren't made to withstand forces like that. Try to spread your hands as much as possible when gripping a section and don't apply downward pressure with your thumb as this can cause breakage as well.

W

Wolfman Woody

Here you go, this should sort it.

PS. Excuse the dog poo in on of the pictures, we had a guest guide dog staying and I didn't see that before taking the piccy. I did find out about later by the usual method.

mick boswell

Reaction score
Might sound daft but an electric razor attached to the joint section can work whilst pulling apoart. The vibrations resonate between surfaces (like getting the top of a decanter) and it can work free.

C

Colin North, the one and only

Stick the coupled sections underneath or behind your knees, grip tightly with each hand either side of your knees, then spread your knees apart. Usually works every time.

I read somewhere that putting WD40 on to carbon fibre creates a chemical reaction that has the opposite effect to that desired and cause the stuff to stick almost like superglue, rather than free the sections. Don't know if that's true though.

M

MarkTheSpark

One other method worth a try is to don the missus' Marigolds, then grip each section near the joint, one in each hand.

Now the clever bit. Crouch down with your arms either side of your now bended knee, then use your knees against your inner forearms to apply more force. Careful not to bend the joint while you're doing this.

But Woody's solution is sheer genius.

Macca_EFC

Reaction score
Mick, I have to ask, what set of circumstances landed you with stuck pole sections and an electric razor? Also Woody, genuis method as Mark says but pic No 2, why do I feel I've seen that sort of thing on a somewhat how can I put it "bluer site" and probably more of a womens instrument ;0)

W

Wolfman Woody

Hmmmm yes, it has been commented on before, but blame Peter Drennan not me.

Thinking about it, I haven't seen that for a couple of years now. I must ask the wife where it is.

Peter Bishop

Reaction score
Thanks chaps. The WD40 didnt work nor the Marigolds. A pal and I tried the rocking motion but we needed three people-two of them apart from me who knew what they were doing! Jeff's method looks very good but needs more courage than I possess-I have a reputation to live up to you know!

In the end its gone to my local tackle dealer. I dont need it while I am away on holiday so hopefully they'll have good news when I come home.

If not I have decided to buy a new Beastmaster margin pole-same as existing one- rather than mess about expensively replacing both the number three and four. That way all my tops and extension are still of use. Thanks again

mick boswell

Reaction score
Posted by Macca "Mick, I have to ask, what set of circumstances landed you with stuck pole sections and an electric razor?"

It was my vacuum cleaner not strictly a pole but the sections were stuck. I remember watching Magnus Pike once getting glasses to seperate with vibrtions from a razor.

Macca_EFC

Reaction score
Mick, you mean to say that you were using the vacuum? :0P if the parts became stuck that could be an excellent excuse as to why you shuoldn't be allowed to use it again and let the missus continue to show you how it should be done ;0)