HELP

trevfish61

Reaction score
Hi,what breaking strain florucarbon do I need for making hair-rigs,and as braid dosent have any stretch can it be used as a shockleader tied to mono mainline,if so whats the best braid to use? or are florucarbon taperd leaders better.

john blundell

Reaction score
As flourocarbon lines have less stretch, i normally step it up a lil bit when using it. I will always use a floro hook length unless i'm using pva bags. And i use 15lb Korda Ultra soft intelligent hooklink. It's not snapped for me yet.

As for the shock leader, i have used braid before, but 65lb. The thing with braid is that it's very thin, and if you need a leader, you're giving it some welly and a thin braid could well cut your finger off on the cast!!

I had no problems with the 65lb as it was quite a thick braid, and being 65lb, it was always going to be strong enough. If you do decide to use braid, make sure that you know the wet knot braking strain as it's lower than the dry strength often stated on the braid. I wouldn't use a braid under 50lb bs personally, just as a confidence thing so that i know i can pound it to the horizon as hard as possible with no probs.

Hope this helps

John.

Oh yeah, make sure the braid is a sinking braid!!!

trevfish61

Reaction score
Thanks John that was a real help,I got some 50lb braid as leader,and some 17lb fluoro for rigs,I didnt know that about the knot strength of braid changed when wet,ta mate.