Lobworms

Dave Smith

Reaction score
Sorry this is a really bloody stupid question

I've always hooked Lobs throught the saddle, not a problem when fishing for tench, Bream etc as they've not been in the water for more than 90minutes or so.

but If I'm after eels they tend to stop in the water longer 4/5hours plus. is it a case that i need to be changing my bait more frequently or change my hooking position (i.e. not the sadle)...

Steve Holland

Reaction score
Dave, have you tried a small square of elccy band between the worms and hookpoint?????

Matty C

Reaction score
firstly, may I say that I am no eel fisherman, so I wouldnt know from that point of view, however, I do alot of perch fishing with lob worms on my river, with great results..

Im not sure which bit you mean by "saddle" but if you look at the head end of the worm, about an inch or so down the worm, there is a thicker part.. reminds me of the bendy bit you get in drink straws.. this is the best place to hook them as it is the toughest part of the worm. dont know if this is the bit you mean though.

from a personal point of view, I would probably change my hookbait every hour or two, to make sure its still lively and such.. Obviously barbed hooks are best for worms as theydo have a tendancy of wriggling off a barbless, but a tiny bit of an elastic band is a good idea

The Bone Collector

Reaction score
Where do you get lobs from these days?

Used to go down to the bowling greens after dusk and get hundreds.

These days they seem to have disappeared, the green keeper tells me that the grass fertilisers they use contain worm deterrents.

Golf courses are the same, mind you, you don't want to be on them at night especially own your Jack Jones, they are full of Stan Collymores and other strange beings and the eighteenth hole is chocka!!!!

R

Rodney Wrestt

Matty C said,

"an inch or so down the worm, there is a thicker part.. reminds me of the bendy bit you get in drink straws".

You're on the same page, that is the saddle. I'd also suggest Dave follows your suggestions as they're spot on regardless of species.

A

Andy "the Dog" Nellist (SAA) (ACA)

For short to medium distance I hook them through the saddle and keep them held on the shank and clear of the hook point with an enterprise fake maggot

For long distance I thread them through the front onto the shank of the hook.

For very long distance I use only the front half of the lob.

Normally use size 6 or 4 drennan carbon specimen hooks.