Barrow or Trolley

• Thread starter Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)
  • Start date
N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Having struggled to peg 45 and back at Clattercote on Saturday with more tackle and groundbait than I have ever carried, I am literally struggling to stand upright today through aching hips.

So what should it be, barrow or trolley?

Nick D

Reaction score
It depends how much gear you have, although i prefer a barrow.

T

The Monk

barrow for me these day, I bought a very expensive Fox trolly carry all, (well carry most I suppose) many years ago and basically it was forever falling over and eventually it fell apart, mind you I do carry a lot of gear and probably overloaded it, all the other fox stuff I use has been very good

G

Graham Marsden (ACA)

Nigel, trolley if it's for a seatbox, carryall, etc, barrow for a rucksack, bivvy, bedchair, etc.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Nigel, what you have to ask yourself is how often are you going to be doing fishing like that and how often are you going to be fishing that far away from your car through choice?

I know that you are a river man at heart and that you normally travel very light because you go with the intention of fishing for a certain species be it roach, chub or barbel therefore a trolley would be an inconvenience not a help.

This is the one I bought because I know I'm now going to be fishing pools far more than I am rivers for reasons you know and I reckon its all you need even on treks like Saturday, remember I had the last peg and I managed it with a couple of stops so I am sure you would. You can extend the wheels to make it more stable and the arms at the rear are extendable as well, not to dear, and the wheels take the load not your arms as with a barrow.

S

Scott Whatmore

Nigel, get a trolley to help you to 'The Dark Side'

You'll be buying bagging wagglers next! LOL

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Tough question Nigel!

I've got a trolley which you can load a box and a bit of stuff onto, but you still have to lug your rods on your back and you need a spare arm for bucket/s of bait, which is very difficult when you have rods on your back and a trolley in one hand.

A barrow can be loaded right up, but is very limited due to access and how often would you use it?

Tough call mate, maybe a second hand barrow on Ebay that won't dent the bank balance?

nicky

Reaction score
drop the car and get a pushbike with panniers.
ever seen mainstream well i carry all my gear like that except i usually carry alot more

Wendy Perry 2

Reaction score
My trolley is useless, when going over bumps, it sometimes tips over and everything falls off. I think i may have to invest in a barrow!

Emmo (Angling Trust)

Reaction score
I have a trolley but have never had a barrow to compare it to.
On the syndicate water where I am a member there are some narrow paths and bridges across parts of the lakes.
The trolley just fits but I do not think a barrow would.

J

John Huntley

Graham is right. Either way you need to balance the load well. With a barrow you need the weight forward over the wheel.
When you finally and inevitably succumb to using the bagging waggler you'll probably need a barrow to get all your ground bait and wagglers to your swim!

W

Wolfman Woody

"My trolley is useless, when going over bumps, it sometimes tips over and everything falls off."

Graham's trolley didn't have to go over bumps on Saturday.

D

Derek Emerson

Having succumbed to the temptation offered by my sons, I went carp fishing at a lake in Essex 2 years ago at Easter....those who worked ( I don't) had booked the Thursday off work, so that we could bag the best spot on the lake........OK, OK, I'll get to the point. My sons take EVERYTHING when they go carp fishing, we had a Boxer long wheelbase van that was about 50% full with gear, tents, sleeping gear, food, enough beer to float the Titanic, and bait........about 100 lbs of that I'd guess.
Now, the point is, the paths leading to the lake were single track, about 18 inches wide, the only sort of vehicle that would make any headway along there between the trees and the undergrowth were wheelbarrows, because they were more stable and able to carry a large load, so that's what we used, but it was hard work. On most other occasions we use ordinary 2 wheeled trolleys because the access is much easier, wide banks, neatly trimmed grass etc. So I think it's horses for courses. I would point out three things here, I haven't been on that sort of expedition since, the booze wasn't my idea, I don't drink myself, and over the 4 days we caught about 400 lb of carp to 22 lbs.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Followed DBs advice and went for a Chub Carp barrow on e-bay for ?34.33.

Not sure about the the jutting out front wheel for load bearing but it looked a bargain especially with a tidy thrown in as well.Just right for a tray of Stella!
Now where's my bivvy and bite alarms.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
First he buys a matchmans box now he's bought a carp barra, Nigel mate, I think this closed season has affected you more than is good for you. I suggest you retire to a darkened room and it out again, as the song says.