Save The Ebro

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

why not fill your profile in .......?

SaveThe Ebro

Reaction score
To Be honest Ed, when I joined this forum I thought the last thing that would save the ebro is my profile.

Still.... I know how important profiles are to online communities so I have updated it just for you.

In addition those behind this campaign are to remain nameless just incase there is any backlash from the fish killers.

Please help us to help make a difference

www.savetheebro.com

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

STE,

To what extent is this taking of fish a new problem or has it always been the practice?

Is it by local anglers or visitors?

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

What sort of help are you looking for -- the website doesn't explain very clearly ??

Is it just cash/donations ?

SaveThe Ebro

Reaction score
The spanish have always had one or two from the pot, the problem now is that cheaper labour comes from east europe as opposed to north africa. After a day in the field the north africans were happy to sit around and smoke pot, however the cheaper labour decide to go fishing, and take all that they catch. Some have now given up fuit picking and are full time fishermen, selling 30lb carp and catfish to 100lb or giving them as bribes and gifts. Thery are fully aware of the law yet pay no regard to it. These people are not without reason, some fish seen have been returned but this is just the tip of the iceberg. We now have white van man, with a double freezer in the back, they use drift nets and longlines and are raping the spawning grounds under the cover of night. They are usually in groups of 6 or 8 and although Im bullet proof these guys have laser eyes! I have found carrier bags of fillets in the margins and piles of scales that would make St George proud.

The website is not about fundraising it is about awareness. Us brits do realise that nothing gets done in spain without the brown envelope full of cash, the money raised is being put towards poster campaigns, new fishing signs and if we raise enough to help pay for extra bailiff and guardia shifts in the mos popular fish raping areas.

We have head stories of 50lb common carp gutted for fun and 200lb catfish in freezers waiting for the head to be chopped off for mounting.

If we do not stand and have our say, this place in 5 years will be no good just like some of the other european water systems that are void of life.

The spanish do not know, they are tucked up in bed having had a skin full of brandy most nights, we cannot bring awareness about alone, if you are or know a guide, is an avid spanish fisherman then please sighn upto our newsletter which helps us communicate effectively and help us to help these specimen fish.

Rule changes are important and so are heavy fines. It is just a ten english pound fine if you get caught night fishing so it is about time things changed for the better.

i HOPE YOU UNDERSTAND AND WE GET OUR POINT ACCROSS, AT THE END OF THE DAY THIS IS NOT OUR AREA OF EXPERTISE (caps off) so we may be barking up the wrong tree, if any of you have had experience in campaigns and raising the odd roof please offer any advice via

info@savetheebro.com

many thanks

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Thanks for that.It sounds a very sorry situation.

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
When I went they were running bare trebles through the shoals of mullet right outside the tackle shop in the center of Torotosa .And set lines for the cats I also witnessed further upstream but these guys were local not eastern europeans,very sad I hope you get it sorted because I would like to visit this magnificent river again.

M

Martin Womble

Well I have fished the Ebro Delta for the last Severn years and the changes have been quite alarming,some areas have gone from a fish filled wilderness to a rubbish dump.These eastern europeans fish productive swims around the clock in shifts,at first they just took mullet and the odd carp by the bin liner full now they are targeting the cats as fish mongers will pay a good price for them and nobody(the Spanish) seems interested but the fishing as certainly been affected and will have a knock on effect on tourism in years to come.I'm going out there on June 10th for a week so I will probably see it in a worst state than it was last year.

SaveThe Ebro

Reaction score
We are currently in need of articles and pictures for the site and to present at the meetings arranged.

If you could find the time to write your accounts and experiences, views etc about the taking of fish then we will gladly post and present them.

The laws here can be changed, catfish now have to be recognised as a native species and the illegal trade in Ebro Fish must be stopped.

info@savetheebro.com