Help

wrighty

Reaction score
ive done a little bit of match fishing recently, mainly open matches with a few club matches.ive also fished at white acres, my weight at white acres was 16lb and the winning weight was 170lb, the person who won was using pellets and ive tried pellets and ive never caught a fish fishing pellet can anyone give me any help with fishing pellets and using them the right way oh sorry by thye way i mainly use the pole
dave

Waveney One

Reaction score
There are plenty of ways to fish pellets. Are you using soft expander pellets or hard pellets? If hard pellets then are you hair rigging them? Are you fishing up in the water with them or on the bottom? If using expanders how are you preparing them? All these things need different feeding patterns and methods of presentation I'm afraid.

Pellets are a terrific bait when used in the correct conditions. I would suggest that you take yourself along to your nearest commercial fishery with plenty of carp and have a practice. Take nothing but half a pint of 3 or 4 mm expanders and three pints of 3mm feed pellets. Soak the feed pellets in water for about a minute to soften them up make them sink better. Make sure your expanders all sink.

Plumb your swim to dead depth so that the pellet on the hook would be just resting on the bottom. When hooking the expander on, go through the round side of the pellet anjd roll the pellet around the bend of the hook which should be a fairly wide gaped round bend hook. I would use a 16's for a 3mm expander.

Have your float dotted down fairly well to see bnites clearly.

Hope that helps but without knowing exactly how you were fishing it is difficult.

wrighty

Reaction score
thanks alot waveney one i will try that this weekend, just another quick one about the feed pellets how do i feed them on the bank, eg cupping kit or little and often and so on
thanks you have been a good help

Waveney One

Reaction score
It depends upon how far you are fishing in my view. If they are spreading a lot when using a catapult then I tend to cup them in. I normally feed half a cup to start with anyway. When in a match situation though the fish are often attracted by the sound of the pellets getting into the peg. Under those circumstances, I will often catapult them out asap after the whistle goes. That way your pellets are hitting the water and you are ready to fire another pouchful as the others are still shipping out. That has got me a fish first put in in many a match. If I am catching close enough though, I will just feed by hand.

Hope that helps.