the next generation

Andy Fielder

Reaction score
My 14 year old son is 'learning the ropes', and loves his trout fishing. I try to encourage him as much as possible, but, when forking out for a ticket, I always feel a little unhappy about the pricing policies for junior trout anglers.

There doesn't appear to be much in the way of discounted prices for juniors, and I cannot help but notice that there are very few youngsters out on the banks. I know that trout fisheries have to make a buck, but I don't believe that they are actively encouraging the next generation of 'customers' with arguably non-discounted rates.

Maybe a genuine, decent price reduction for juniors is the way to bring more of them into the sport - after all, they are part of the future source of revenue to trout fisheries. Or is trout fishing only to be a realm for the over-30's with a few quid in their pockets?

Any views on this?

The Bone Collector

Reaction score
There are many trout fisheries Andy who do have reduced rates for juniors, especially those who sell sporting tickets where fish are returned.

If you buy a limit ticket then obviously the fish have to be paid for junior and senior alike, after all its a business.

Have a Google and spread your net a little further.

S

Shrek

Andy, if you fly fish yourself then you'll find some fisheries will let you have a "Father-Son" ticket. Basically it's a normal day ticket and you split the limit between you.

Might be worth enquiring about those as well in your quest.

It's good to see your lad is getting involved and I hope he goes on to enjoy it more and more.

Let us know how you get on.

Andy Fielder

Reaction score
He certainly does enjoy it, and is also very keen on coarse fishing too. Having had what amounts to a current lifetime's worth of enjoyment from angling, I'm very keen, and very pleased, to see that the angling 'bug' has bitten him!

With regards to the discounted tickets, here's an example. As a treat, we went to a well known fishery on Sunday - only my son fishing; Had I fished, the cost for my two fish ticket would have been ?25 for half-day, or ?35 for full day. My son's ticket was ?27.50 for a full day, but still only two fish. Now those of us who 'fling the fluff' know all too well that, just sometimes, a two fish limit can be achieved in a very short space of time on a favourable day, whether the angler be a junior or senior - the trout don't know who's doing the flinging!

If my son had paid for his own ticket, and 'bagged up' after an hour or so, does this constitute a discounted ticket in comparison to my own, had I fished, but not caught?

Whereas I am fortunate enough to be able to afford to go regularly, my son doesn't have money or means to cover such an outlay - hence he's liable to want to spend what money he has on day ticket coarse fisheries, where, in our area, he can get 4 days fishing for the same price. Therefore, in order to allow him to indulge his desire to flyfish, I pay for his ticket each time, and let him keep his pocket money.

By 'discount', I mean just that - using the above fishery as an example, I'd like to see something akin to a two fish all-day junior ticket for ?20 - at least then, if he bags up in quick succession, at least it hasn't cost him (or me!) the earth, so to speak. It's also likely that the more he goes, the more he'll want to go in the future, when he's old enough to make and pay his own way.

If I didn't pay for him now, he may not ever do it at all, and I bet there are many dads out there who'd love to take their sons flyfishing, but the cost precludes it.

So, am I being unreasonable in seeking a genuine discounted ticket for junior anglers in general?

BTW, the following fisheries are those where I visit regularly, and try to take my son along as often as possible - Chalk Springs, Bushyleaze, Lechlade, Haywards Farm, Blackwool Farm, Halliford Mere. Any ideas of other fisheries in the Southeast/M3 & M4 corridors offering something for the juniors would be appreciated.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Andy,

It may be a little out of your way but just north of Salisbury there is a lovely 2 lake complex and 1 mile stretch of the Avon where the adult full day ticket is ?43.00 (4 fish limit) and the Junior Day ticket (3 fish limit) is ?26.00

One of the lakes is Dry Fly only and is quite difficult, except in perfect conditions, and the other lake is wet or dry fly.

The river stretch, sadly, doesn't offer any reductions for Juniors(?)
I'll have to ask them why next time I am there as that seems strange.

If you are interested then PM me and I'll give you the address, phone number and a web site URL.

Good luck with the youngster, and keep on encouraging him.

The Bone Collector

Reaction score
Come up North Andy there is loads.

eg Stocks Fly Fishery set in beautiful countryside. 350 acres, solid with fish, loads of doubles ?21-50 per day five fish limit or ?15-00 per day sporting.

Under 17's free when accompanied by an adult.

Junior on his own 2 fish limit around a tenner.

Boat for the day a tenner a piece.

You can carry on fishing catch and release once you have your limit.

Great Northern hospitality check out their website.

Great B and B's nearby, come up for the weekend you will love it.

Good Luck,

BC

Andy Fielder

Reaction score
Peter - email sent to you.

BC - thanks for the advice - going to have to make it a week's visit to make a trip up North worthwhile - I've also got to convince the missus that its a good idea!

Do you think that the cheaper prices in the North are down to cheaper stock purchase, or are we just being ripped off because we're down South? (not all fisheries down here stock with big fish, but the ticket prices are still expensive ie ?30 for 4, average 2.5lb.

The Bone Collector

Reaction score
You do get better value in the North Andy, probably due to the lesser population and northerners not willing to be exploited.

There are many more fisheries like Stocks in the North and prices are are around half of those in the south.

Maybe they feel they can charge more due to the wealth down there.

The quality of stock that goes into Stocks (no pun) is absolutely first class with tens of thousands of good sized fish to double figures, all stock have complete tails and are all firm bodied.

It is a tremendous buzzer water by the way, huge hatches up until mid October, probably the most exciting type of fishing other than the dry fly.

Do take the family, your missus will find plenty to do and see, the trough of Bowland is stunning and very picturesque.

There are plenty of hamlets with art and craft shops, really good value Guest Houses, excellent award winning restaurants and for wildlife fur and feather it is second to non.

Your missus is also allowed in the boat, that will help stop her spending.

I cannot do the link thing but check out Stocks Fly Fishery on google and look at the catch reports.

Good Luck,

BC.

Andy Fielder

Reaction score
BC & Ed - thanks for the info/links. Looks very good and must be on my list for a venue to visit.

My own view on this subject is that fishery owners, if they genuinely want to encourage youngsters into the sport and onto their fisheries, must offer a ticket which reflects the fact that young anglers do not usually have the financial means to pay full whack. Allowing juniors to catch fish (but the fishery doesn't make a profit on those fish - assuming they're caught in the first place)is a viable step towards attracting more young blood into the sport.

I appreciate that trout fisheries must make a profit to stay afloat, but issuing a few discounted junior tickets isn't going to send a fishery freefalling into bankruptcy, is it? - especially if its a fishery which rears its own stock. You're not likely to be inundated with the local youth population - the cost of the required tackle is prohibitive enough to ensure that doesn't happen!

I have fished since the age of 7, but I only took up flyfishing at the age of 35, when I had the means to afford to do it. I said to myself "this is great - why didn't I do this earlier?" The answer (and the reality) was very simple - the cost was prohibitive!

....Or is it that fishery owners don't really want to encourage youngsters into the sport?