Canal-Pike Fishing

Macca_EFC

Reaction score
Posted this in general as hope it might get a few more responses. Does anyone know if any sections of the leeds/liverpool between the appley bridge to around the Blue Elephant restaurant near southport are fishing well for pike? I've tried around Ths shipp in burscough which was s**t as was rufford. Any help much appreciated folks.

john blundell

Reaction score
i've caught aaaaaaall the way along from appley bridge right through to Maghull. Thats parbold, over the back of skem through newburgh, burscough. (ring 'o bells did me very good), Halsall and all the way through.

Never had any over 10lb, but often had 7 or 8 in a day all around 7 and 8lb which made a very enjoyable active day!

John

Macca_EFC

Reaction score
Well now that's just showing off John lol, I think instead of going from the ship towards the locks I'll give it a go towards Ring O bells and up that way. Were you using lures/plugs etc ?

john blundell

Reaction score
Nah i've not caught on lures or plugs. I've caught all on dead/lives. Have had some on the retrieve though, so yeah, natural sea water lures!!

billy bear

Reaction score
i havent caught any i ve been useing dead sea baitsdown by the ship inn any tips

J

John McLaren

Best approach is not to stay in one place too long 30 minutes or so without any actionthen move along - but not too far.Two anglers fishing two rods each can cover a lot of bank this way - bites often come fairly early after each move. Use dead bait (almost anything but lamprey is pretty good) with float leger or paternoster setup.

C

Cakey

I I I tried to answer ,I even tried with all my Liverpool kit on but ...............its that badge

J

John McLaren

Just re-reading my post: it sounds like I mean that Lamprey is no good - quite the reverse! There should be a comma after "almost anything" - must be that badge!

C

Cakey

John

Ive been trying lamprey but Im being reggied ,is there a way of getting it of the bottom or would it no work as good,gone back to lives again at the mo

C

Cakey

by the way Im down there ....not up there /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

J

John McLaren

Sorry Cakey can't give any useful advice on that one I'm afraid. I've never tried popping up lamprey and I'm not the most experienced piker in the world - just done a fair bit on the Leeds-Liverpool!

J

John McLaren

Liverpool & District to the Saracen's Head then Wigan. So the Ship is L&DAA.

J

John McLaren

The Ship Inn I was referring to is at Haskayne http://www.shipinnhaskayne.co.uk/and definitely on the main canal before you get to Halsall, which is where the L&DAA water ends. However, looking back at the earlier posts it may be the Ship in at Lathom that is being referred to. - I'll get me coat!