Hook Glue...

soffit

Reaction score
Been tying up some spades recently. Occasionally in a fishing session the knot has rotated. Rather than lying in the same plane as the line it is at some odd angle. Yous can thumb nail it down the shaft and bring it back to how it should be but it would be handy if it stayed where it was when originally tied. I'm using mono not fluro but an answer for both would be handy...

Thanks

The Sogster

Reaction score
In the past I have used super glue on hook knots with braid - I don't know of any reason why it shouldn't work on mono/ flouro, unless it reacts chemically with it and weakens the line.

soffit

Reaction score
In the past I have used super glue on hook knots with braid - I don't know of any reason why it shouldn't work on mono/ flouro, unless it reacts chemically with it and weakens the line.

Yer. That's the issue.

mol

Reaction score
I had the same problem, particularly after playing a string of bigger fish. I tend to use a little bit of loctite super glue and it's completely solved the problem. The one in the control tube is the best, although expensive the bottle doesn't glue itself shut.

It doesn't weaken mono and it doesn't seem to bother fish. I've never tried it on fluoro but was told it reacts with the line and weakens it, as I've never tried it I can't be certain.

EDIT

As a quick thought, if superglue is a no go on fluoro would a tiny dap of clear nail varnish do a similar job?

Last edited:

soffit

Reaction score
I had the same problem, particularly after playing a string of bigger fish. I tend to use a little bit of loctite super glue and it's completely solved the problem. The one in the control tube is the best, although expensive the bottle doesn't glue itself shut.

It doesn't weaken mono and it doesn't seem to bother fish. I've never tried it on fluoro but was told it reacts with the line and weakens it, as I've never tried it I can't be certain.

Looks promising; thanks Moi

Ps: I seem to remember using me mum's nail varnish on fishing gear so that might be a possibility too

Last edited:

The bad one

Reaction score
You don't say how you are tying them by hand or tyer? I only ever tie them by hand and never have that problem. I suspect you're not tightening the knot up tight enough. The short end in your teeth, and I ain't got that many left, hook length in your hand, pull as tight as you can without breaking the hook length.

soffit

Reaction score
By hand. Wll try giving the knot a bit more welly before forking out on the glue.

Cheers Chaps.

barbelboi

Reaction score
What knot do you use? I tend to use the domhoff knot which has always been 100% secure. Although I use it solely for spades it can also be used round the shank of eyed hooks.
Jerry

mick b

Reaction score
Use the snell knot and pull it really tight on both ends, it won't rotate if its tightened correctly.

A word of warning tho, many years ago I was fishing on Kevin Benhard's boat in the Blackwater estuary when an angler used his teeth to hold the line to assist in tightening his 4/0 hook knot, ..........he used so much force he pulled the line from his teeth and hooked himself firmly through his bottom lip:eek:mg:, then fished the whole day with it there before going to hospital to have it removed!

soffit

Reaction score
What knot do you use? I tend to use the domhoff knot which has always been 100% secure. Although I use it solely for spades it can also be used round the shank of eyed hooks.
Jerry

Thats the one I use