tackle bought from carboots

john woody

Reaction score
what is your best buy from a carboot mine is my skee-tex boots at 3 Quid yes thats all i paid lol i paid the woman then shot off in the car:D

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
what is your best buy from a carboot mine is my skee-tex boots at 3 Quid yes thats all i paid lol i paid the woman then shot off in the car:D

I hope you had some tissue handy :eek:

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I've never seen anything I'd consdier a bargain and also I'd ask a few questions, if the person can't answer them with any fishing knwoledge I'd walk away - could be stolen

billy whizz

Reaction score
I once bought a much sought after 1970's Abu Atlantic spinning rod in mint condition for a tenner from a cash converter shop.

I was just glancing through the window at a whole rack of sh ite rods, all for a tenner each, when I noticed the old fibreglass Abu Atlantic in the rack. I then had the agonising time of pretending to go in and casually look at a few of the rubbish rods before picking the Abu and taking it to the attendant to buy. If I had just crashed through the door knocking everything over to get to the rod, it might have gone up in price by the time I got to the till.

This rod caught me my first Highland Ferox trolling on Loch Ness, fullfilling a long held ambition.

soffit

Reaction score
I reckon if you saw anything fishing in a general carboot you would pay more than you normally would.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
We have car boot sales on the common on three of the warmer bank holidays and each time I wander around lookign for any bargains. It usually is cr@ppy old rods and reels not worth a dime and I once saw a guy trying to sell a Daiwa rod bag for £8 - you get the free with a rod FFS! Never seen a thing that I would have wanted, not even pottery or Lalique glass (my fave). It's usually all someone else's cr@p so why pay anythign for it, let them rent a skip to get rid rather than dump it in someone else's homes. :D

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
I've picked a few choice items up over the years, but one of the best was a narrow drum Speedia, in the original box in mint condition. I didn't haggle with the stall holder when he asked for a tenner. :)

oxonfisher

Reaction score
A couple of years ago at an Oxfordshire car boot fair I bought a large box full of mainly old ABU Tight Lines catalogues - 50 p for the whole box - over £200 worth of catalogues!

johnbaz

Reaction score
Hi

I bought an old black Mitchell match for a quid!! (hardly any paint left on it but it's smooth as silk!)..
I also bought a couple of Grice and Young centre pins, one had a drag system that was linked to a line guide (sold them since as I kept on over batting and ending up with massive tangles :eek: )

Another time I bought a load of stuff for £15 of an elderly chap, i'm still using the seat/box it was a coarse tackle setup but with two short fly fishing landing nets!!!

John :)

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I talked about this a few months ago but, spotted some really old rod bags in house clearance shop. 6 rods , greenhart etc. One a 15ft scottish salmon drop ring rod from about 1880.
Paid £7 for the lot. I am hoping to restore them and get a couple of them in a angling auction in Chiswick for April.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Hi

I bought an old black Mitchell match for a quid!! (hardly any paint left on it but it's smooth as silk!)..

John :)

Fortunately for you that's a midnight blue Mitchell Match - the early models that were followed by the mid-blue metallic paint versions; the true black ones are the final versions circa 1985/6 and useless as they were not made in France.

I once bought ten books for £30 at a car-boot but what gems!

jimmybobkin

Reaction score
bargains can still be found at car boot sales, got 3 strikeright centrepins for a tenner recently plus a split cane spinning rod for about the same ammount. people are catching on though so real steals are becoming harder to find

johnbaz

Reaction score
Fortunately for you that's a midnight blue Mitchell Match - the early models that were followed by the mid-blue metallic paint versions; the true black ones are the final versions circa 1985/6 and useless as they were not made in France.

I once bought ten books for £30 at a car-boot but what gems!

Cheers Mark

I'm sure I put a pic of the reel in my post (getting on a bit and memory's not so good:eek: )

Maybe it was removed for being too big!!

I also have a light blue match that I bought years ago (I packed in fishing in 1990 and bought it well before that!), I got it out when I started again a year or two ago and it's still as good as when I bought it new! (apart from a couple of scratches!!)..

Cheers, John :)