New Rod/Reel set up

Carpless

Reaction score
I'm looking into buying 2 new rod and reels for carpfishing. I don't want to spend an absolute bomb but would like a set up that will offer reliability. I've been looking into the Fox warrior ES and XT rods. Which is better and are they any good? Any reel advice would be appreciated also. Cheers

Shine

Reaction score
Hi Poult. I have 2 of the warrior ES. I went for them as they have abbreviated handle which uses a combination of Duplon and shrink tube to create a matt, non slip central section (so I read), anyway, when the freezing weather starts they wont be so cold on the hands.
Are they any good? Simple answer, yes. When you hook a good fish the rod feels amazing and performs very very well.

To go with them I got 2 shimano re reels. one 6000 and one 8000, these reels are great for the price. In the shops there are about ?60 or under or if you look on ebay you'll find good ones like I did alot cheaper.

Rods ?45-?50 each, reels ?65 or under each.

Also have a look in the tackle section of FM to see what reviews other members say about rod and reels.

Hope this helps.

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Hello Poult what are the size of carp you will be targeting also how big are the waters as you may find 3lb tc rods maybe a bit too powerful for what you want.I am using 2lb rods at the moment but I only fish at short range really ,personally I would stay away from the casting sticks though as they dull the feeling of the fight.

Carpless

Reaction score
Yeah I have got my eye on 2 fox warrior xt's and 2 xshimano aero 6000 on ebay. I was looking into the hyperloop but if i got them then i'd want the double legged ones which cost as much as the fox warriors, which i've heard good things of.

Gav - I will be using the rods for a range of fishing from 5lb-15lb sport on a local commercial fishery and also on an overnight reservior where i will be using leads and PVA bags etc for carp up to 30lb. A local canal with carp to 40lb also. I was thinking of going with a 2.75 TC so i can handle larger leads and pva bags but still have some feel.

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Poult for fish in the 5 to 15 lb bracket 2.75 is a bit heavy you just won't get any fun from the fight much better with an avon type rod.I use a 2lb test curve rod and it will chuck a few ounce but if your talking massive pva bags as well it wouldnt be up to it .I wouldn't go any heavier than 2.25 if you wanted a rod to cover commercial to reservoir.

Andy Pet

Reaction score
I agree with Gav. You don't need anything above the 2lb mark to enjoy your fishing. I use Harrison Chimera No2's for all my fishing. Mainly for carp up to 30 but also for Cats.

Most fish are caught close in not at 150 yrds plus.

But its each to his own - the current trend is for fishing with pokers. I'm sure this will change in years to come.

pcpaulh

Reaction score
Andy, I was using mine today and its brilliant for playing fish. Not sure what it would be like with a 30lber but its great for what I'm catching at the moment.

Carpless

Reaction score
Cheers for your advice guys. I am set on my reels. 2 Shimano aero 6000 re's. For both its a shade under ?100. As for rods i'm as confused as ever. Looking at the advice on Fishingwarehouse and other sites it suggest's 2.75lb for all round use but it seems many of you disagree. Maybe if i explain in more detail about the sorts of fishing i'll be doing you will be able to advise me further. The Sport fishing is great fun but i don't tend to take a full pod with 2 ledgered carp rods and alarms because its just unnecessary. I often have a single rod with method feeder in the margins and then use a little 6" rod that i bought at trago mills years ago to stalk the margins as it allows me to get into some hard to reach places and also it's great fun when you hook into a scrappy carp. As such I don't feel my new carp rods/reels would get much use on these waters, i may even just take my remaining carp rod/reel. Where I will be using my new set up is mostly on the reservoir. Its not huge but some swims require some medium distance casting and as i say i like to use PVA, especially the Korda funnels (both sizes). I also have to accommodate for my local canal where big fish are expected and 30+ are not uncommon. I do intend to travel round as well so i really need a set up that will give me some flexibility and allow me to use different techniques. So bearing all this in mind will i still be better off with a lower test curve or is a 2.75lb a better all round pick? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Andy Pet

Reaction score
1.75TC is ideal for all fishing unless you are a member of a syndicate that contains 40 plus's - although Dave Levy catches and lands a 40+ fish in the Monster Pursuit DVDs on a 1.75TC!

I started my carping on 2.75 as these were explained as an all rounder. They will catch and land smaller fish but you get no enjoyment out of the fight.

Don't get me wrong I still use 14lb line and braided hooklengths but I only use 1.5oz leads and golf ball size PVA bags and fish up to a max of 50 - 60 yrds as I don't need to fish any further out.

Any rod you do decide on I suggest you take in your reel loaded with line and try it on all rods threaded through the rings and an assistant on the other end.

If you do try a 1.75 and get it into a full curve with all your veins popping out and muscles twitching ask yourself how many times you've had to do that in a fishing situation - probably never!

pcpaulh

Reaction score
Andy out of interest whats the biggest fish you've landed on your No.2?

Andy Pet

Reaction score
As I've only used my new Chimera No 2's twice (only had them for 4 weeks and was on hol in US for 2 of those, I've caught a 12.5lb mirror and a 15lb catfish. I upgraded from Grey's Prodigy Barbels which were good but the custom build I had done and the lightness in the hand of the rods they are definately better. My best on the prodigies was a 19 carp - the catfish fought a darned sight harder and the rods coped well.

Spoke to my rodbuilder who uses them and he wouldn't swap them for anything - he's had carp to 30 from down south and has full confidence in them.